Transportation Planner for Policy & Programming
The Transportation Planner Series in the Policy & Programming Division includes three levels of professional Transportation Planners who perform complex and sensitive tasks in the areas of policy, legislation, strategic financial planning, fund programming, and planning and represent the Transportation Authority on technical and policy advisory groups. The Transportation Planner assists with larger or has full responsibility for smaller projects and programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists with development of policy and programming recommendations for local, regional, state and federal fund sources. Provides corresponding project delivery support including monitoring timely use of fund deadlines; and assisting project sponsors (e.g. public agencies) with technical, planning, and administrative issues. Performs other tasks intended to facilitate project implementation and preservation of discretionary funds for San Francisco.
- Assists with or has responsibility for development of policies, funding strategies, and legislation to advance Transportation Authority goals and objectives, including research and analytical support, advocacy before governmental agencies and community outreach.
- Assists with or has responsibility for providing policy, programming and funding input into the development of the Transportation Authority’s various programs and plans including, but not limited to, the Countywide Transportation Plan, Congestion Management Program, and Prop K 5-Year Prioritization Programs and Strategic Plan.
- Assists with internal planning studies, provides policy and technical input, and assists with community involvement efforts. Reviews and comments on external planning efforts.
- Perform grants allocation, management and oversight for projects, including review of Prop K and Prop AA funding requests and preparation of staff recommendations for Board consideration and approval; review and approval of project progress reports and sponsor invoices checking for compliance with grant terms and conditions; review and recommend approval of sponsor requests for amendments to grant agreements.
- Prepares or assists with preparation of Board memoranda and official Transportation Authority correspondence, and presents before management, the Transportation Authority’s Citizens Advisory Committee, and other external agencies.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: May supervise interns and external consultant teams.
Training and Experience: Completion of a graduate degree in an appropriate discipline such as transportation planning, public policy or civil engineering; and one (1) year of experience in transportation planning, programming or funding. Applicants may substitute completion of a graduate degree with two (2) years of additional qualifying experience.
Knowledge: Basic research methods and database management techniques; proficiency with standard computer spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software; statistical and computational analysis principles and methods; advanced knowledge of transportation planning principles, techniques and methods; transportation funding and finance; and capital project development phases.
Skills and Abilities:Ability to collect, analyze and interpret data pertaining to transportation planning and programming of funds, information on transportation issues and related legislation using appropriate methods and statistical techniques; design surveys; develop long-range transportation planning priorities; identify project goals and performance measures; oversee and manage projects and consultants; facilitate meetings; summarize and present data and prepare written reports and recommendations, and outreach materials; speak effectively and write clearly and concisely.
Send cover letter (indicating where you saw this job posted) and resume via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mail:
RE: Transportation Planner, Policy and Programming
Attn: Human Resources
San Francisco County Transportation Authority
1455 Market St., 22nd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103