Next-Generation Transportation Certificate Info-Session (online)
Learn more about Simon Fraser University's online Next-Generation Transportation Certificate at our May 11 Info-Session.
This certificate is designed to help mid-career professionals use next-generation transportation strategies to advance livable and sustainable cities of the future. We emphasize case studies from around the world with policies and practices that resolve conflicts and explore trade-offs between different modes of transportation. Our instructors—experienced, fresh-thinking sustainability leaders, policy-makers, planners and decision-makers from North America and beyond—will provide context for past practice, improve on the conventional, discuss the radical and explore the possibilities that will make up transportation for the next generation.
Take the following four online courses to earn the certificate:
- Next-Generation Cities and Transportation (starts October 1, 2018)
- Next-Generation Tools of the Trade
- Next-Generation Transportation for Regions and Cities
- Next-Generation Transportation for Corridors and Neighborhoods
Each course is 12 weeks and may be taken individually.
What participants say:
Mat Collins, Auckland Transport: "I gained an appreciation for the shortcomings of a city that relies on a single transport option, the inextricable link between land use and transportation and how these two factors define the development of a city, what the barriers and enablers are to more sustainable transport options, and how important it is to have a multi-disciplinary view when planning and providing transport in an urban environment. It has given me greater confidence to challenge traditional car-centric thinking and to champion sustainable transport modes in my role as a Planning Engineer. I highly recommend this course to anyone charged with defining the public realm of cities, be it through transportation, planning, urban design, as an elected representative or other profession."
- A.Malcolm, Planner, City of Lethbridge, Canada: "This certificate has been extremely beneficial to me in providing a great deal of very valuable learning, real-world examples of successful implementation of these concepts, and contacts with established planning and engineering professionals from across Canada and around the world."