The City of Baltimore will receive local impact aid from Horseshoe Casino operations that is estimated to reach $15-20M annually and must be spent on areas adjacent to the casino. State law establishes that the expenditure of these funds must be established in consultation with the Local Development Council (LDC), which is responsible for reviewing the spending plan. Additionally, a Casino Area Master Plan that will set a long range vision and prioritize key projects for the impacted areas of South Baltimore is currently under development. A project coordinator is needed to support the Deputy Mayor of Economic & Neighborhood Development in coordinating these efforts and serving as the conduit between local and state agencies and elected officials, the LDC, and community stakeholders.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with a diversity of people, including personnel from other City agencies, non-profit organizations, community development corporations, and the general public. Able to elicit cooperation from senior management and other departments.
- Proficient in handling multiple priorities simultaneously and managing competing priorities.
- Sound analytical skills.
- Critical thinker with excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills and a high level of professional judgment.
- Effectively handle concerns and problems from community, staff and other stakeholders.
- Able to effectively synthesize complex information and prepare concise reports and recommendations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the Chief Liaison between the Mayor’s Office, the City’s internal agency management team, consultants, Local Development Council (LDC), local and state elected officials, and community leaders, and other stakeholders to coordinate all casino-related activities including:
- informing stakeholders of activities related to local impact aid and new developments potentially affecting the Casino Area;
- investigating and resolving conflicts that may delay or interrupt the operations of the Casino;
- scheduling, facilitating, moderating and coordinating monthly management team meetings;
- receiving and presenting recommendations;
- attending all necessary meetings, including during evening and weekend hours as needed, to successfully fulfill the position responsibilities; and
- negotiating and setting deadlines and effecting adherence to them.
- Develop, present, implement, analyze, and monitor an annual multi-year and multi-tier spending plan including:
- working closely with Finance Director and other City agency heads and stakeholders on the timely preparation of annual spending plans and ensuring the spending plans are reflected properly in the City budget;
- coordinating LDC and adopted master plan priorities with the spending plan and budget;
- leading and monitoring project implementation for conformance with the authorized spending plan;
- collaborating with the Department of Planning (DoP), LDC and other stakeholders to implement the Casino Area Master Plan;
- compiling and analyzing budget and project implementation data; and
- creating transparency and accountability around spending plans by preparing and presenting financial and other reports.
- Provide staff support to the Local Development Council and subcommittees, including:
- leading and monitoring the progress of LDC directives to ensure proper implementation and execution;
- monitoring agency project implementation and preparing progress reports;
- coordinating activities and priority-setting with the DoP staff and elected officials;
- scheduling meetings and developing agendas;
- gathering, distributing, and publishing meeting materials;
- maintaining the LDC website, including authoring content; and
- leading the process for selection and appointment of new LDC members.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Business or Public Administration, Business or Project Management, or a similar field and five years of experience managing projects; or
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Public Administration, Business or Project Management, or similar field and seven years of experience managing projects.
Salary offer will be commensurate with experience. An excellent fringe benefit package accompanies the salary.
How To Apply
Qualified individuals must email a cover letter and a resume specifically addressing qualifications relevant to this position to email@example.com.Please specify “Senior Project Coordinator” in the subject line of your email. Baltimore City residents are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Closing Date: Friday, July 4, 2014
This position requires satisfactory completion of drug and alcohol screening.
Selected applicant will be subject to criminal background investigationand education verification.
An Equal Opportunity Employer