As Mass Closures Loomed, CA Parks Hoarded a Pile of Green

When California planned to close 70 parks this month to save $22 million, donors sprang into action to help keep them open. It turns out they needn't have, as last week it was revealed the CA Dept. of Parks and Recreation stashed away $54 million.
July 23, 2012, 11am PDT | Jonathan Nettler | @nettsj
Share Tweet LinkedIn Email Comments

News broke on Friday that while the California Department of Parks and Recreation "painted a dire picture of the system's health, soliciting hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations in what was thought to be a desperate scramble to keep facilities open," a trove of nearly $54 million remained untapped in two funds, report Chris Megerian and Patrick McGreevy. As a result, Ruth Coleman, director of the department since 2002, resigned, and her second in command, acting Chief Deputy Michael Harris, was fired. 

At this time it is "unclear whether mismanagement or deliberate deceit led to the concealment of the funds," write Megerian and McGreevy. Finding an answer to this question will no doubt be the aim of an investigation lauched by the state attorney general's office.

"'It disgusts me,' said Myra Hilliard, who donated and helped raise money for the Pio Pico State Historic Park in Whittier. 'Is anybody honest about anything anymore? Here we are working so hard to keep the park open and they have all this money they aren't telling us about.'"

Secretary John Laird of the California Natural Resources Agency, which oversees the department, "said in a conference call with reporters that lawmakers will ultimately decide how to appropriate the surplus." 

Full Story:
Published on Friday, July 20, 2012 in Los Angeles Times
Share Tweet LinkedIn Email