Austin Aims For Greener Events and Festivals
"The group's ideas, which are still in draft form, include:
• Banning plastic foam cups and the sale or distribution of bottled water at big events.
• Requiring event organizers to recycle paper, plastic, aluminum and glass goods as well as food grease.
• Requiring recycling bins to be placed next to trash cans.
• Requiring bike racks, shuttles or readily available bus schedules.
• Requiring event organizers to buy renewable energy credits to offset carbon emissions.
The rules would apply only to events that have more than 200 attendees and that make use of a city building, sponsorship, street closure or fee waiver.
The city might start a green-star rating system for festivals and other events and create a green-events tool kit that suggests ideas and resources to help organizers comply, according to the draft."