June 30, 2011, 7am PDT
The personally rewarding and healthy activity of urban farming continues to solidify a foothold on Hong Kong high rises, in spite of the lack of support from the government.
May 17, 2011, 6am PDT
Policy in Hong Kong dictates that development must concentrate on only 25% of the land area, with the remaining 75% preserved as open space. Julia Levitt examines the ingenious density that results.
May 16, 2011, 7am PDT
Retail shopping in Hong Kong is a diverse experience of density, hidden storefronts and extreme visual stimulation, as this tour of the city's shopping areas shows.
May 14, 2011, 5am PDT
A recent tour through housing developments in Hong Kong shows that the large spaces Americans treasure in homes are not necessarily the best method for urbanizing areas, according to this post.
Sustainable Cities Collective
January 19, 2011, 11am PST
The industrialization of Hong Kong created hundreds of abandoned villages on the outskirts of the city. Today, these rural villages struggle to rejuvenate their economies and preserve their traditions.
September 21, 2010, 11am PDT
Hong Kong and Singapore are two thriving, rival Asian cities. But when evaluated in terms of livability, Hong Kong was rated #71 while Singapore scored #28. Singapore's cleaner air was considered a major factor. Hong Kong is making changes.
September 14, 2010, 9am PDT
When the link between transit operators and real estate developers was severed in the early 20th century, transit became both unprofitable and unresponsive to market demand, and land value-lowering MTA cuts are just one example, says Stephen Smith.
August 28, 2010, 9am PDT
Office of Metropolitan Architecture, Foster + Partners, and Rocco Design Architects have each submitted plans for Kowloon's new cultural district to be built on reclaimed land.
July 1, 2010, 11am PDT
As Asian economic prowess powers the continent's businesses toward prosperity, governments need to find a way to accommodate the 2 billion extra people that will inhabit its major cities by the middle of the century.
June 30, 2010, 2pm PDT
By 2030, China will have 220 cities containing a population of 1 million or more, 24 of which will be megacities. The boom China is expected to go through, 'boggles the imagination of North Americans and Europeans.'
March 20, 2010, 9am PDT
Bringing economic vitality back to Cleveland requires a broad embrace of policies that encourage entrepreneurship, according to <em>Reason</em>'s Sam Staley.
January 11, 2010, 8am PST
A system of escalators in Hong Kong, installed in 1993 to create a new connection between districts, has become an unusual and popular way to commute Hong Kong's steep streets.
January 1, 2010, 11am PST
The Walled City of Kowloon, Hong Kong was demolished in 1993, but remains a symbol of what happens when a city evolves anarchically. It was known as 'Hak Nam', or 'City of Darkness.'
November 22, 2009, 7am PST
Photographer Michael Wolf visited Hong Kong's oldest public housing estate, and photographed 100 of the 100 ft. square rooms in the building.
March 15, 2009, 11am PDT
This video takes a look at what may be the world's best subway system - Hong Kong's MTR. Riders hold shares in the public-private entity. And, as the video explains, it is profitable.
December 29, 2008, 5am PST
Density gives cities an edge, according to this study of commutes around the world. Hong Kong, Osaka, and Berlin all rank highly.
September 4, 2008, 9am PDT
One man's personal quest to save the beauty of Hong Kong's Victoria Harbor from rampant development.
The Christian Science Monitor
June 20, 2008, 7am PDT
<p>Dwell talks with a prolific Hong Kong architect about his city and its development.</p>