Due to stronger regulation, dwindling public resources and political forces that simultaneously restrict government support and heighten income inequality, advanced specialized training has become more and more crucial in the urban planning space.
To that end, USC Price’s online Executive Master of Urban Planning is an accelerated program that bridges the gap between urban planning goals and the objectives and constraints of effective real estate development. USC Price has been ranked No. 2 for urban policy by U.S. News & World Report for 2020.
USC Price’s online master’s is a 24-unit curriculum designed with significant input from the practice community that will equip graduates with an expert skill level in this field. This includes:
- 16 months to complete
- 8 core courses
- 2 four-day in-person intensives
As graduates from our urban planning master’s program, students will emerge with advanced knowledge in four main areas: project and land economics; political, legal, and regulatory process and stakeholder outreach; data analysis, visualization and communication; and urban design and the built environment.
- Economics of a Productive Development
- Politics and Processes of Urban Development
- Urban Political Economy and Urban Development
- Economics for a Productive City
- Effective Engagement With Stakeholders
- Big Data for Planning and Development
- Leading a Collaborative City
- Integrating Concepts for Action
- Planning and Development Case Study (intensive)
- Designing Livable Environments I (intensive)
- Designing Livable Environments II (intensive)
- Communicating Data for Planning and Development (intensive)
The curriculum is designed to bridge the gap between good planning practice and the economics of urban development. Our coursework will equip students with hands-on skills they can use on the job, including the ability to:
Navigate between public and private sector planning goals and innovate at the nexus of local public finance, private sector development and urban policy.
Understand and analyze the economics of urban planning and development projects.
Leverage available commercial and demographic data to improve decision-making.
Our program is tailored so that professionals from outside the planning field can emerge with expertise that matches their peers in this space. It is also a good fit for professional planners who would like to build the expertise to advance and become leaders in the public, nonprofit or private sectors.
USC Price’s online Executive Master of Urban Planning requires a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university. USC Price values diversity of experience, and the online master’s is designed for rising executives in the industry. Five to seven years of relevant work experience are recommended, but not required, to apply. No GMAT or GRE scores are required.
Online Student Experience
With USC Price’s accommodating online format, students will:
- Build key urban planning and leadership skills through face-to-face online classes.
- Complete multimedia coursework at their own pace on any device.
- Attend in-person intensives where they can analyze a project, develop recommendations and work in a studio setting, as well as strengthen their networks in the industry.