Urban Design Planner
Are you interested in helping shape development in the City of Madison?
The City of Madison's Planning Division seeks an individual with a strong design background and excellent communication skills to join the Development Review and Plan Implementation Section. This position serves as the primary staff liaison and secretary to the City's Urban Design Commission (UDC). That Commission, an influential body comprised of design professionals, citizen members, and an elected official, reviews a variety of development proposals as defined in City Ordinances. As primary staff to the UDC, you will be responsible not only for staffing and advising the Commission, but reviewing and approving plans to implement the work of the Commission and related ordinances. The position also participates in a wide variety of other planning and development review activities, working closely with colleagues in the Development Review and Plan Implementation Section, the Zoning Administrator, and other city staff. Success in this position depends heavily on clear communication and collaboration with various city departments, the development community, elected officials, neighborhood organizations, and racially and culturally diverse residents and/or underrepresented populations and stakeholders.
If you are interested in working in a collaborative and challenging environment to positively impact growth and change in Madison, please consider applying to become part of this team. The City of Madison Planning Division is committed to promoting inclusion and an equitable work environment. Bilingual, bicultural and people of color are encouraged to apply.
As a member of the Planning team, members are expected to:
- Support and promote collaborative efforts to achieve mission requirements.
- Infuse racial equity goals, principles, and tool, into all aspects of operations.
- Promote teamwork.
- Communicate openly and candidly.
- Participate fully in discussions.
- Employ techniques for problem solving and decision making
- Four years of professional planning experience including two years of professional development review experience or four years of design experience in architecture or landscape architecture.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, or Urban Planning.
If an applicant does not possess the experience listed above, HR will review the application materials to determine if the applicant possesses the following equivalent experience:
- Four years of experience applying the following:
- Theories, principles, and practices of urban design and community planning.
- Reviewing development drawings such as site plans, landscape plans, grading plans, floor plans, building elevation drawings, signage plans and similar development drawings.
- Knowledge of and ability to use computer software applicable to the duties of the position.
Two years of experience applying the following:
- Development controls such as ordinances, laws, design guidelines, and approval standards.
The City of Madison strives to provide exceptional customer service to all its citizens and visitors. Therefore, successful candidates will have demonstrated ability to work effectively with multicultural communities.
To view the full job posting, including information on our great benefits and to apply online, please visit our website: www.cityofmadison.com/jobs. Applications must be received no later than June 5, 2017 to be considered.