Director of Programs
Design Center Pittsburgh works to make design and planning more accessible to communities and empower residents to increase their quality of life and place. Serving southwest Pennsylvania and the Pittsburgh region, Design Center Pittsburgh provides technical assistance, grants and capacity building to local communities. Through a participatory design and planning process, we align agendas and develop a road map that empowers communities to garner the resources necessary to develop strong and lasting places. We also develop and deliver educational activities such as workshops, charrettes and toolkits that support the region in better understanding redevelopment and driving social change within the built environment.
Design Center Pittsburgh is seeking an experienced and passionate program director, committed to community development and social change, to partner with communities to plan, develop and implement community-driven design and planning projects in the Pittsburgh region. This is a great opportunity for a highly motivated and creative self-starter who is looking for a collaborative and innovative environment.
- The Director of Programs will be responsible for the management and oversight of our community programs and services. The position reports directly to the CEO. The Director of Programs performs a wide range of duties including the following:
- Community Projects Management
- Work with community partners to develop project scope and need
- Oversee hiring and management of design and planning consultants
- Facilitate community meetings and develop community engagement framework for each project
- Develop and implement workshops, charrettes, and other educational activities
- Plan the delivery of the overall programs and its activities in partnership with the CEO and in accordance with the mission and the goals of the organization
- Work with the CEO and board to develop new initiatives to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Implement and measure long-term goals and objectives to achieve successful and impactful program outcomes
- Oversee annual budget and operating plan to support the program
- Develop a program evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the program and to identify areas for improvement
- Work with the CEO to develop funding proposals for the program to ensure the continuous delivery of services
- Ensure that program activities operate within the policies and procedures of the organization
- Ensure that program activities comply with all relevant legislation and professional standards
- Develop forms and records to document program activities
- Oversee reporting and measurement of the impact model as related to the organization’s programmatic services
- In partnership with the CEO, recruit, interview and select well-qualified program staff
- Implement the human resources policies, procedures and practices of the organization
- Supervise program staff by providing direction, input and feedback
- Coordinate the delivery of services among different program activities to increase effectiveness and efficiency
- Manage project relationships with community groups, firms, government agencies, foundations and other partners
- Represent the organization in public meetings, conferences and committees
- Support grant reporting for funded programs
- Monitor and approve all budgeted program expenditures
- Manage all project funds according to established accounting policies and procedures
- Provide support to ensure financial reports and supporting documentation for funders are prepared as outlined in funding agreements
- Report evaluation findings to the CEO and recommend changes to enhance the program, as appropriate
- Knowledge and experience in program and/or project management of community projects
- Experience in the field of community or economic development, urban planning, urban design, architecture, public policy or related field
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, urban planning, urban design, public policy or related field
- Master’s degree preferred
- 5-7 years of experience in program or project management
- Driver’s license and occasionally driving required
Director of Programs should demonstrate competence in the following:
- Our work is in partnership with many communities and partner organizations. The Director of Programs should demonstrate the ability and experience of working with, listening to, and respecting people from diverse backgrounds, cultures and points of view.
- Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external community clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
- The Director of Programs usually works in an office environment but the mission of the organization may sometimes take them to non-standard workplaces.
- The Director of Programs works a standard work week but may be required to work some evenings and weekends to monitor program activities. This is an exempt position.
Design Center Pittsburgh offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience, and is an equal opportunity employer.
Send cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 5, 2017. No phone calls, please. Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Design Center Pittsburgh, where employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, mental and physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or familial status, obligation to serve in the United States Armed Forces, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established by federal, state or local law.