Reports to: Director of Planning
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
La Plata Communities, Inc. (La Plata) is a master-planned community development company located in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Since 1995, La Plata has had a solid reputation of successful community development and is recognized as one of the premier developers in Colorado Springs. La Plata is the developer of the highly successful Cordera, Pine Creek and Briargate Crossing communities. The company is also responsible for the on-going developments of North Fork at Briargate and The Farm, both newly master-planned communities located in northern Colorado Springs. In addition, La Plata is developing residential sites around Lake Woodmoor, located near Monument, Colorado. La Plata is a privately-held company with a staff of 15 employees.
The Project Planner position requires a hands-on, energetic and team-oriented person willing to juggle a variety of project tasks throughout any given day. Responsibilities of this position include managing the preparation and approval of master plan amendments, development plans, zoning, plats and engineering plans; maintaining, updating and reporting on project development schedules; coordinating with consultants and various internal departments to ensure timely delivery of product; prepare project budgets for approval by Director of Planning; collaborating with the Planning Director to internally solve design challenges; as well as perform other planning-related duties as directed by the Planning Director. The ability to interact with consultants, sales agents and residents of our communities in a positive and professional manner is also an important aspect to this position. Having an understanding of the development and construction process after entitlement approvals is a plus as well.
The following is a general summary of duties and responsibilities assigned to the Project Planner position:
- Manage the entitlement process for projects including, but not limited to, single family and multi-family residential, office, industrial, commercial and institutional projects as directed by the Director of Planning.
- Maintain detailed working knowledge of the City of Colorado Springs/El Paso County and other such municipalities approval processes (Master Plan, Development Plan, Zoning and Platting processes), and facilitate neighborhood meetings required for the approval process. Maintain strong working relationship with government staff.
- Coordinate with and assist builders and parcel developers in the approval process. Identify and immediately report to Director of Planning any issues that could negatively affect the successful development and sale of a parcel.
- Perform development reviews of all La Plata-initiated applications as well as all projects initiated by outside developers within the master-planned/La Plata-owned properties.
- Maintain, update and report on project development schedules for all planning and development activities. Coordinate with various internal departments and consultants on schedule input. Notify Director of Planning of any schedule adherence problems or issues that could affect the timely delivery of product.
- Coordinate consultant contracts, generate and assist in maintenance of planning project budgets and approve consultant invoices for required projects. Notify Director of Planning of any contract or budget adherence problems or issues.
- Create, maintain, and enforce architectural and landscape guidelines for each respective community.
- Maintain and update land use, zoning, master plan and various other maps and graphics as directed by the Director of Planning.
- Distribute copies of maps and plans as requested.
- Coordinate with and assist Operations and Landscape Services staff to resolve specific development and construction problems as they arise.
- Work with Administrative, Marketing, Sales, and Finance departments to achieve sales goals and to enhance profitability.
- With the Marketing Director, train builder’s sales agents to understand community vision, sales requirements and expectations, and resident-driven applications (i.e. – landscape plan and fencing).
- Generate and understand architectural and color adjacencies. Assist builders and sales agents in product sales including, but not limited to, ensuring all lot adjacencies are met and architectural guidelines are enforced, as well as reviewing plot plans and color applications.
- Ability to serve on a community HOA Board of Directors.
Bachelor degree in land planning, architecture, civil engineering, landscape architecture or related field is required. AICP preferred.
A minimum of 5 years’ experience in land planning, real estate development and/or entitlements. Knowledge and understanding of site planning, landscape, residential architecture, engineering, construction practices, government approval process, and contract administration is required.
Project management skills required include: problem solving skills, ability to handle multiple projects, ability to complete projects on schedule and within budget, coordinate consultant activities, and good verbal, written and graphic communication skills, positive and professional customer service skills. Technical skills required include ability to read and interpret architectural, landscape, grading, engineering and site plans; ability to create and maintain spreadsheets in Excel.
If interested in the position, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com