Community Revitalization Specialist
Community Builders (CB) is seeking a new team member to join us in building strong, livable communities throughout the American West. Community Builders is a unique nonprofit that works to inform, inspire and enable local leaders and change makers and provide them with the tools and capacity they need to build strong and livable communities. We are assembling a team that is inspired by and committed to the work of creating more livable communities. We want people who are smart, innovative, motivated, creative and responsible, and who excel in working and communicating with others.
WHO WE ARE SEEKING
The Community Revitalization Specialist is high-level position within Community Builders and will be responsible for management, oversight and leadership on a range of challenging projects and initiatives. The person filling this position will be enabled to apply their creativity, initiative and leadership to address a range of important community challenges throughout the west.
ABOUT THE POSITION
This position will help communities align their community development initiatives with economic development goals by focusing on projects related to infill, housing and redevelopment strategies. The incumbent will have opportunities to engage in that work through a variety of means such as direct technical assistance, applied research and analysis projects, cutting edge community engagement programs, and the design and use of innovative implementation tools and strategies. Specifically, this position will engage in the following types of projects and initiatives:
- Lead efforts focused on infill and redevelopment planning, strategies and implementation. Provide overall project leadership as well as specific expertise related to planning and implementation of infill and redevelopment, both at the district and project/site levels.
- Lead public engagement and community outreach efforts, including facilitation. Work with project partners to design and implement effective community engagement processes. Includes experience with meeting facilitation.
- Help communities address affordable housing needs.Work with communities and project partners to expand quality and availability of housing choice.
- Assist communities with place-based economic development and revitalization.Help communities align community planning and economic development efforts through training, research and technical assistance.
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will have a strong combination of experience and expertise in:
- Infill and redevelopment planning, strategies and implementation
- Public engagement and community outreach, including facilitation
- Affordable and attainable housing—from policy, to real-estate finance and implementation
- Market and economic dynamics that influence the feasibility of infill, redevelopment and affordable/attainable housing projects
- Understanding and implementing current community-level economic development and revitalization strategies
- Urban planning and design
- Project management on substantial and varied projects
- Communication skills and the ability to take complex subjects and make them understandable and engaging in written, visual and oral formats
- The practices, policies and customs of local planning and governance
The ideal candidate will be highly motivated and proactive, exhibit strong leadership abilities, and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Masters’ Degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Public Administration, Community Development or a related field, or an MBA in Real Estate Development and Management.
- Expertise in infill and redevelopment planning, policy and implementation.
- Expertise in affordable and attainable housing projects.
- Experience with community outreach, public engagement and facilitation.
- Excellent project management skills and experience.
- Strong communication skills: oral, written, interpersonal and presentation.
- Solid understanding of local government procedures and processes.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work as a cohesive team with a small group of highly skilled professionals to achieve outstanding outcomes for western communities.
- A strong work ethic and desire to grow personally and professionally.
- Ability to travel, as required, to various communities throughout the western U.S.
- Minimum of four-years of relevant work experience.
The Community Revitalization Specialist is a full-time position based in Glenwood Springs, Colorado. Salary is DOE and industry competitive. We offer competitive benefits and strongly believe in professional development, ongoing education, and the ability to advance and grow. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about us, visit www.communitybuilders.org. Explore our publications, blogs and research and check out our projects.
Please submit to email@example.com with the subject line: CR SPECIALIST
1) A letter of interest that clearly discusses your fit and value for the position and our organization.
References: Though they are not required at the time of submittal, we will ask for references for any applicants that we consider for the position. We will notify applicants before calling any references and will not contact current employers without permission.
Community Builders will review applications as received and interview potential candidates until the position is filled.