Under the supervision of the Director of Planning and Development, the Planning Technician performs a wide array of technical work to support the City’s planning functions, including zoning, subdivision, historic preservation and code enforcement. Providing customer service and citizen assistance are primary functions of this position. The employee should possess excellent communication and technical skills and be detail-oriented.
- Serves as the primary Planner of the Day, interpreting zoning regulations and issuing zoning permits, including but not limited to fence permits, parking permits and sign permits.
- Prepares legal notices and adjacent property owner notices for public hearings and ensures publication within legal timeline requirements.
- Conducts minor research projects.
- Reviews minor site plans and lot splits for compliance with regulations.
- Prepares GIS maps for reports and publications and maintains the City’s zoning map and comprehensive plan map.
- Reviews and authorizes building permits and certificates of occupancy on behalf of the Planning and Development Department.
- Conducts zoning investigations, prepares zoning violation notices and represents the City in court for zoning violation cases.
- Performs administrative historic review using the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation for designated properties.
- Performs file management.
- Serves as Secretary for Land Bank, Landmarks Commission and other boards and commissions.
- Coordinates the City's Development Review process.
- Education: An Associate's degree in Drafting, GIS, CAD or similar technical area is required. A Bachelor's degree in a planning-related field is desirable.
- Experience: Any directly related experience is preferred. The employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well within six months of employment.
- Licenses: A valid Kansas driver's licence is required.