Senior Urban Designer
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM), one of the most influential design firms in the world, is seeking innovative, creative, and independent thinkers who aspire to the highest standards of professional excellence.
We invite you to join SOM’s collaborative practice as a Senior Urban Designer in our Los Angeles office, with the opportunity to build an exciting career and lead an urban design studio in the dynamic Southern California market. The studio will be a key part of SOM’s respected City Design Practice, a global collaborative focused on issues related to urbanization and the environment. The Los Angeles studio will specialize in large-scale, mixed-use urban design projects with a special emphasis on transportation planning, and will collaborate closely with SOM’s architectural studios. We are looking for a motivated, interdisciplinary designer with a passion for cities, a commitment to excellence, and the ability to lead others. Please join us and contribute to SOM’s 80-year history of innovation and design excellence.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with other SOM leaders as the primary design interface with clients, consultants, and others during various stages of project development.
- Develop urban design and planning concepts incorporating site planning, landscape design, transportation and infrastructure systems.
- Review design documents for alignment with program requirements of the client.
- Solve complex problems in connection with the planning and design of large-scale projects.
- Recruit, mentor, train and supervise Urban Design team members.
- Manage work within teams and with other disciplines on multiple project assignments.
- Participate proactively in marketing and business development efforts, including the preparation of qualifications, proposals, and scopes of services.
- Support and strengthen SOM's firm vision, goals and values.
Desired skills and expertise:
- A Master or Bachelor degree in architecture is strongly preferred, plus an additional certificate or degree in urban design, landscape architecture or planning.
- Either AIA, ASLA, or AICP licensure or certification is required. LEED accreditation is desirable.
- At least ten years of urban design and planning project experience in North America.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) and transportation-related projects.
- Practical knowledge of architectural and urban design skills, including programming, analysis, site planning, building types, urban design, infrastructure planning, and public-approval documents.
- A strong design ethos consistent with the principles of SOM's City Design Practice.
- Established track-record of innovative projects in the US; West Coast experience is a plus.
- Compelling communication and engaging client-liaison skills, with experience in community engagement processes.
- Demonstrated team-leadership skills with the ability to listen and collaborate effectively.
- Strong writing skills with demonstrated experience authoring project summaries and design guidelines. Familiarity with Form-Based Codes is desirable.
- Willingness to act as an outward-facing ambassador for SOM, with active engagement in the community and proven success in business development.
- Demonstrated proficiency with AutoCAD, MS Office, and Adobe CS skills. Proficiency with three dimensional digital modeling software (Sketchup, Rhino, etc.) and GIS, and ability to communicate with hand-sketching.
- Ability to engage in domestic travel and occasional international travel
Please attach a cover letter, resume and all relevant work samples with your application.
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM's employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment_opportunities_and_policy
For more about SOM: www.som.com
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.
For all applications, please submit a cover letter, resume and work samples to www.som.com/careers under the Los Angeles – Senior Urban Designer Requisition.