Assistant Project Manager- Mandarin Speaking
SOM, one of the most influential design firms in the world, is seeking innovative, creative, independent, and critical thinkers who aspire to the highest standards of excellence. Join our collaborative design practice as an Assistant Project Manager - Mandarin Speaking to work on inspiring and innovative open space projects in China or within the US. The ideal candidate will have a strong urban design and planning background and proven success managing all facets of a project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contributes to SOM’s vision by enabling clear communication among team members, consultants and clients. Promote professional relationships internally and externally.
- Serves as a point of contact for SOM’s clients, Local Planning Institutes (LPI), local project teams, specialty consultants, suppliers and contractors in China.
- Prepares and reviews project memos, correspondence, technical documents, fee proposals, contracts and schedules for professional services.
- Assists the Project Manager in daily communication with the project team.
- Schedules and conducts technical coordination and presentations meetings with the client project team, LPI, specialty consultants, and others as applicable. Records and documents meeting minutes during technical calls and document resulting action items.
- Facilitates meetings locally in China, as needed.
- In conjunction with the Project Manager and Project Accountant, prepares appropriate billings and pursues payment compliance.
- In conjunction with the Project Manager and Project Accountant, manages and coordinates multiple budgets and schedules, both individual and project specific.
- Dedicates the necessary time beyond routine hours (as required, including last-minute needs) to assist in meeting business commitments.
- Other duties as assigned.
Desired skills and expertise:
- Master Degree in Urban Design or City Planning, with undergraduate training in architecture design. Licensure, AICP and /or LEED accreditation are a plus.
- Ability to read, write and speak fluent Mandarin Chinese and English.
- At least 4-6 years of progressively responsible project experience in the urban design and physical planning profession, including 2-3 years of work experience in North America.
- Thorough knowledge of urban design and planning issues, including site planning, zoning, infrastructure and utility planning, and sustainable design practices.
- A proven work ethic and the ability to anticipate needs, service clients, initiate decisions and coordinate the activities of others.
- Excellent people management and strong team leadership with ability to listen and collaborate effectively.
- Ability to adapt to change in a fast-pace, highly creative working environment is essential.
- Highly-motivated, good team player who possesses strong oral and written communication, proofreading, and organizational skills.
- Strong command of Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project.
- Autocad, InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator skills are highly desirable.
- International travel will be required.
For more about SOM: www.som.com
For all applications, please apply at http://www.som.com/about/careers under the SF- Assistant Project Manager requisition.
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.