Cleveland City Action Strategist
Application Deadline: August 15th, 2018
ioby mobilizes neighbors across the country to become powerful citizen leaders who plan, fund and make positive change in their neighborhoods. We are creating a future in which our neighborhoods are shaped by the powerful good ideas of our own neighbors.
ioby seeks an Action Strategist based in Cleveland, OH. The Action Strategist will play a critical role in cultivating and supporting ioby’s citizen leaders in Cleveland. The Cleveland Action Strategist will report to the City Strategist Manager, Jennifer Allen, based in Brooklyn, NY, and work with a team of Action Strategists around the country.
Your job will be to support and grow the existing network of Cleveland leaders already working at the neighborhood scale by sharing ioby’s platform and resources as helpful tools for community change. Your mandate is to find, foster, and amplify trust and positive change that comes from neighbors working together. We hope you’ll join us.
- Work with the City Strategist Manager to expand, create and implement ioby’s national ioby Leader strategy in Cleveland
- Build a pipeline of local ioby Leaders doing a variety of projects, including issue-specific projects (e.g., food, safe streets, events, education, etc.), through community engagement
- Build partnerships across Cleveland’s community development and civic engagement sectors to grow ioby’s pipeline of local ioby Leaders
- Positively represent ioby to local, regional and national audiences
- Work with ioby staff to build and expand ioby’s national and local strategies
Cultivate ioby Leaders
- Identify, support, develop, cultivate and celebrate new ioby Leaders in the Cleveland area in successfully funding and implementing their ideas
- Deliver grassroots fundraising trainings to ioby Leaders
- Tap local networks of practitioners and experts to assist ioby Leaders with project development and implementation
- Create a local network of ioby allies and influencers, and work with other program staff to build a national network of ioby allies and influencers of which Cleveland leaders should play a major role
- Work with other program staff to regularly inform the network of allies and influencers that you develop about opportunities to partner with ioby
- Work with other program staff to develop partner relationships locally and regionally
- Identify and reach out to potential ioby Leaders from a variety of groups, including but not limited to nonprofits, civic organizations, faith organizations, neighborhood associations and coalitions
- Liaise with ioby’s key local partners to ensure alignment of services
- Represent ioby within a regional network of like-minded people and groups
- Participate in coalitions, collaboratives, or other issue-specific groups when relevant and strategic
- Participate in national networks of thought leaders directly related to your work when relevant and strategic
- Work with program staff to develop, standardize and implement trainings for potential ioby Leaders on fundraising and project implementation
- Contribute to the strategic planning of ioby
- Document Cleveland best practices and lessons learned to contribute to ioby’s process of expansion into other cities
- Stay informed of national and local trends in ioby’s fields of community development, urban planning, technology and crowdfunding
- Work with other ioby teams to refine internal business processes and ioby Leader UI / UX
- Work with ioby’s Communications & Marketing Team to present ioby’s Cleveland work to a local and national audience by sharing city-specific stories in video, blogs and social media
- Work with other remote office staff and the Communications & Marketing Team to produce materials and collateral for Cleveland
- Generate content and subscribers for Cleveland’s monthly newsletter
- Work with the Communications & Marketing Team to develop a media plan for Cleveland
- Plan, promote, and facilitate local ioby Leader events, trainings, and workshops
Track, Evaluate & Share
- Work with the entire Leader Team to set and achieve organizational goals
- Develop Objectives and Key Results with your team and evaluate monthly sprints with the entire staff
- Record your interactions with all ioby Leaders, partners and influencers in ioby’s Salesforce database
- Create, use and share results from evaluation tools you create for your own work and those that ioby provides to you
- Work with Cleveland leadership and ioby’s Communications & Marketing Team to continue to boast Cleveland’s role as a national thought leader in citizen-led community development
This job is based at ioby’s Cleveland office. ioby has offices in New York City, San Francisco, Memphis, Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. This job requires some travel within the U.S., including participation in the City Action Strategist Team’s retreats and ioby’s regular staff retreats (occurring once or twice a year) that take place in New York and other ioby cities.
ioby’s regular business hours are 9am - 6pm Monday through Friday, and everyone is available from 11am - 4pm Eastern. However, the Cleveland Action Strategist position will always require work outside of regular business hours. You’ll be expected to manage your own balanced workweek based on the demands of the job. ioby is a startup—you’ll be expected to bring new ideas and strategies, revise your work on short timelines, bring an attitude of continuous improvement and contribute to a culture of innovation.
Candidates for this position must have a Bachelor's degree or equivalent in a related field, a driver’s license and mode of transportation, and the following characteristics:
- Community Engagement Skills
- 2-3 years of professional experience doing community engagement in a related field, such as community organizing, case management, urban planning, and / or grassroots fundraising, or in an unrelated field with similar job activities, such as social work, ministering, health care and / or job training
- Strong relationships across, and understanding of, the civic landscape in Cleveland and the region (e.g. culture of giving, relationships between and among neighborhood groups, race and class dynamics, and history of government-led civic engagement efforts)
- Comfort in networking and establishing partnerships with local organizations and leadership to connect them to ioby staff
- Experience using asset-based community development
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Ability to work with a diversity of residents, regardless of race, class, age, technical abilities etc.
- Fundraising & Coaching Skills
- Experience in fundraising that will support coaching others in fundraising
- Ability to teach, coach, and encourage residents on an interpersonal level
- Communication Skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to tailor ioby's message and coaching according to particular audiences (e.g. capable of articulating the job of the Action Strategist in layman's terms)
- Comfort representing ioby to the media, at community gatherings, partner meetings, speaking engagements, and through social media
- Able to generate content and subscribers for CLE monthly newsletter
- Able to plan and market monthly workshops and trainings
- Experience using social media
- Organizational Skills
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks within a quickly changing workload
- Able to plan and schedule follow-up activities in a timely and organized fashion
- Technological Skills
- Experience managing a network of constituents with a CRM or other tool
- 1-3 years experience using a CMS
- Proficiency and comfort using cloud-based collaborative software such as Google Docs, Google Sheets, Dropbox, Asana, Desk.com, Cirrus, 7Geese
- Experience with Startup Culture
- Accustomed to changing processes and "building the plane while flying"
- Experience being managed by a remote supervisor
Extraordinary candidates will have
- 5 years of experience working within the civic landscape of Cleveland
- Masters degree in Social Work, Social Justice, Urban Planning or other related field
- Experience in teaching and coaching fundraising
- Experience in leading trainings, public speaking, meeting facilitation and running workshops
- Experience working in an organization that relies heavily on technology for project management and communication
- Experience building relationships with remote colleagues through video conference and software
- 2-4 years experience using Salesforce to manage constituents
- Proficient in HTML
- Experience “managing up” to an executive
- Experience working in an anti-racist organization
This is a full-time position with a salary range of $45,000 - $60,000, commensurate with experience. It includes a generous benefit package with full coverage for health, eye and dental, a minimum of 27 PTO days in addition to holidays, and an attractive "Whole Person" policy.
Application Deadline: August 15th, 2018
We are interested in bringing on staff who can be part of a team meeting in Cleveland September 13-14, and who can attend an organization-wide staff retreat in Brooklyn the week of October 1-5.
ioby's Non-discrimination Policy
ioby is committed to the principles of equal opportunity. ioby's organizational policies, practices, programs, activities and decisions regarding employment, hiring, assignment, promotion, compensation, volunteerism, internships and other terms and conditions of employment or voluntary service shall not be based on a person's race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, mental or physical disability, ancestry, military discharge status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, source of income, parental status, housing status, or other protected status, in accordance with applicable law.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQIA people are always strongly encouraged to apply.