An Equal Opportunity Employer
CLOSING DATE: 08/31/18 11:59 PM
The Prince George's County Planning Department of The Maryland National-Capital Park and Planning Commission is seeking two Planner Coordinators to join our planning team. The Department provides land use planning for the physical development of Prince George's County, Maryland. As the second most populous county in Maryland, Prince George's has a population of approximately 900,000 residents and is home to The University of Maryland at College Park, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, and Joint Base Andrews Air Force Base. Prince George's
County is also home to many attractions such as FedEx Field, National Harbor, and Six Flags Amusement Park. If you are interested in working for the Prince George's County Planning Department, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Planner Coordinator positions.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT DUTIES:
Under general supervision, the Planner Coordinator applies land use planning, urban design, and advanced knowledge of the development review process and professionally performs the following major duties and responsibilities:
- Applies knowledge of planning standards, codes, and plans to develop alternatives to resolve planning problems identified.
- Applies various regulations while conducting plan reviews for complex planning applications.
- Prepares, presents, and reviews items to be presented before the Planning Board and District Council.
- Consults with developers, contractors, governmental agencies, and the public about planning and design-related issues to negotiate solutions.
- Reviews technical staff reports and analysis from Senior Planners.
- Serves as the Acting Planning Supervisor as requested.
Other duties may include full participation in interdisciplinary planning teams. The ability to relate land use plans to development review regulations is important. The candidate must possess innovative problem-solving skills, strong leadership skills, and be willing to work in a diverse environment. Qualified candidates will be expected to effectively communicate planning and design principles verbally, graphically, and in writing. Qualified candidates must have proven negotiation skills and provide thorough planning recommendations for quality urban design. A combination of regulatory and private experience is preferred.
WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING
The ideal candidate for the Planner Coordinator position will have the following:
- Strong analytical skills.
- An advanced knowledge of principles and concepts of planning, architecture, landscape architecture, and/or urban design.
- Ability to plan, assign, and review the work of other planning staff.
- Experience with communicating difficult planning concepts to a wide variety of persons to achieve resolutions to problems.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team or independently to complete work assignments.
Master's degree in planning, architecture, parks, engineering, environmental science, or equivalent disciplines related to job function and three years of progressively responsible professional level planning experience at the journey level; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The Prince George's County Planning Department is currently located in historic Upper Marlboro,Maryland. Free onsite parking is available for employees. In the foreseeable future, the Department will be moving to a newly renovated, state-of-the-art building in Largo, Maryland, conveniently located near Metro and 1-495.
The M-NCPPC offers a competitive salary range of $59,434 to $101,900 at the Planner Coordinator level with an excellent benefits package. The Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and encourages applications from minorities, females, and persons with disabilities.