Project Manager - Mandarin Speaking
SOM, one of the most influential design firms in the world, is seeking innovative, creative, independent, and critical thinkers who aspire to the highest standards of excellence. Join our collaborative design practice as a mandarin speaking Project Manager to work on inspiring and innovative open space projects in China or within the US. The ideal candidate will have a strong landscape design background and proven success managing all facets of a project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reconciles the goals and priorities of SOM with those of our clients while fostering opportunities for design and technical excellence.
- Manages project services required; maintains internal cost control procedures, monitors and documents project process.
- Contributes to SOM’s leadership by enabling clear communications among team leaders, consultants and clients while promoting professional relationships internally and externally.
- Promotes Project Management as a discipline within and outside of SOM.
- Develops and maintains a Project Plan for each project.
- Conducts important client communications and videoconferencing occasionally after hours to coincide with regular business hours in China.
- Conveys valuable design information from the client to the design team.
- Prepares services agreement in conjunction with Project Partner and Design Director.
- Serves as primary contact with client, external consultants and vendors.
- Receives and distributes project communication regarding delivery of services to all team leaders.
- Documents all phases of service.
- Chairs weekly project coordination meetings on all active projects.
- Schedules and chairs all client meetings. Records the minutes of these meetings and documents action items.
- Monitors services vis-à-vis the contract requirements and identifies changes in project scope, schedule or service that result in supplemental or additional services and bring such changes to the immediate attention of the client and Project Partner.
- Prepares, in conjunction with Project Accountant, appropriate billings and pursues payment compliant with services agreement.
- Maintains and updates project data in a timely fashion to insure accurate reporting of earnings and accurate billings.
- Reviews timecards on a weekly basis for conformance with the Project Plan.
- Supervises one or more employees.
- Participates in marketing and business development.
- Actively pursues opportunities for professional development.
Desired skills and expertise:
- Master Degree in Landscape Design, Urban Design or Architecture. Licensure required; ASLA and /or LEED accreditation are a plus.
- Ability to read, write and speak fluent Mandarin Chinese and English.
- At least 5-7 years of progressively responsible project experience in the landscape design and/or urban design profession, including 3-5 years of work experience in North America.
- Thorough knowledge of landscape design, construction, detailing, stormwater management, infrastructure and utility planning, and sustainable design practices required.
- A proven work ethic and the ability to anticipate needs, service clients, initiate decisions and coordinate the activities of others.
- Excellent people management and strong team leadership with ability to listen and collaborate effectively.
- Ability to adapt to change in a fast-pace, highly creative working environment is essential.
- Highly-motivated, good team player who possesses strong oral and written communication, proofreading, and organizational skills.
- Strong command of Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project.
- Autocad, InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator skills are highly desirable.
- International travel will be required.
For more about SOM: www.som.com
For all applications, please apply at http://www.som.com/about/careers under the SF- Project Manager- Mandarin Speaking requisition.
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.