Senior Planner – Development Services
Hiring a workforce that reflects the diverse community we serve is essential to delivering exceptional City services and programs. The City of Hillsboro is committed to creating and supporting an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees to thrive. We value, respect, and empower employees as unique individuals with authentic voices and diverse ideas.
The City of Hillsboro’s Planning Department welcomes an experienced Senior Planner to its Development Services Team. As a Development Services Senior Planner, you will provide your talent and expertise in a variety of land use responsibilities including:
- Reviewing development projects for residential, mixed use, industrial and commercial uses that can range greatly in scale and size
- Implementing the City’s updated Comprehensive Plan through development review
- Researching and processing land use development applications, permit applications, plans, amendments, variances and related documents
- Community Development Code administration
- Presenting at public hearings and community meetings
Skills you’ll bring to the table
- Creative and innovative thinking
- Exceptional customer service
- Project coordination and management
- Solid understanding of state, regional and local planning structure, processes and codes
- Leading and supporting other staff
- Preparation of staff reports, ordinances, amendments, and other technical documents and conveyance of complex technical information
- Landscape plan preparation or review and/or experience in inspecting the installation of landscape materials
- Ability to fluently speak and write in both English and Spanish
General Statement of Duties
The principal function of an employee in this class is to perform advanced journey level professional planning work. Responsibilities, as assigned, include reviewing, researching and processing planning and development applications, plans, amendments, variances, and related documents; conducting transportation and traffic planning; conferring with other divisions, applicants and external agencies to resolve project issues; interpreting and communicating codes, laws and regulations, ensuring compliance with applicable standards; coordinating planning and development projects; providing support and giving presentations to the community and governing groups; preparing code amendments; preparing drawings, plans, studies, reports, and other related documents. Leadworker responsibilities are exercised over related planning support personnel.
Acceptable Experience and Training
Bachelor’s degree in Urban or Regional Planning, Urban Design, Landscape Architecture, Geography Traffic or Civil Engineering, or related field and five years of municipal planning related experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Please visit our website Hillsboro-Oregon.gov/Jobs to apply online through our link. For an alternative to our online application system you may download and print an application packet.
Employment applications must be completed online or returned by mail, fax or in person by the closing deadline of the position. Applications received after the filing deadline, by email, or without a resume, cover letter and supplemental questions will not be considered. Resumes will not substitute for the employment application. Applications may be submitted by fax to meet the application deadline.
City of Hillsboro
150 E Main Street, Second Floor
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
The closing date for this position is 5:00 p.m., Monday, July 16, 2018. Qualified minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.