The Planning Department of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville & Davidson County (Metro) seeks a senior staff member to provide project management in the implementation of design plans, overlays, and form-based codes. The position will also oversee compliance review functions within design overlays and form-based codes throughout Metro Nashville.
A successful candidate for this position will have experience in the urban design and planning practices including community participation and facilitation, and demonstrate experience (or strong familiarity) with public sector planning functions. He or she will have the ability to manage planning efforts and effectively communicate planning and design ideas verbally and graphically to a variety of stakeholder groups. The candidate will also provide design guidance to junior planning staff, and help manage compliance review functions for design overlays and the Downtown Code.
- Supervises activities of urban design staff within the Community Design Division.
- Assigns design projects to staff.
- Assigns Downtown Code and Urban Design Overlay compliance review cases to staff.
- Monitors activity on projects in progress.
- Evaluates employee performance.
- Counsels with and corrects employees as needed.
- Manages planning and design projects for urban design studies, overlays, and from-based codes.
- Leads community participation for a variety of planning efforts including charrettes and design-based policy and zoning implementation efforts.
- Administers the Downtown Code and the various Urban Design Overlays and their respective Design Review Committees.
- Reviews development proposals for compliance with various development regulations and with principles and practices of effective planning and land use, with a focus on the Downtown Code, Urban Design Overlays, and Specific Plan zoning district site plans.
- Consults with developers, contractors, and other members of the general public, as well as other agencies, about planning and design-related issues, and requirements for development within the Downtown Code and Urban Design Overlays.
- Oversees and participates in preparation of and amendments to Community Plans, Small Area Plans, Urban Design Overlays, and Downtown Code.
- Prepares, presents, and reviews items to be presented to the Planning Commission, Metro Council and Metropolitan Housing and Development Authority’s Redevelopment Districts Design Review Committees.
- Coordinates activities with other divisions of the Planning Department and/or other Metropolitan departments.
- Receives direction and reports to the Community Design Division Manager, who assists with any complex or unusual problems.
- Bachelor's Degree in planning or a related design field from an accredited college or university and six (6) years of planning experience; or
- Master's Degree in planning or a related design field from an accredited college or university and four (4) years of planning experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in design field such as architecture, landscape architecture, or urban design with eight (8) years of planning experience, including experience in both private and public sector land planning and urban design functions.
Required Education and Experience
Preferred Education and Experience
CONTACT AND APPLICATION INFORMATION
Applications will be reviewed as received. To be assured of consideration, your application should be received before July 6, 2018.
Submit a cover letter and resume via email (preferred) or by USPS to the address below. There is no separate application to be filed. No phone inquiries please.
Marty Sewell, AICP
Planner 3, Community Design
Metropolitan Government of Nashville & Davidson County
800 2nd Avenue South
P.O. Box 196300
Nashville, TN 37219-6300
The Planning Department does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed or disability in admission to, access to, or operations of its programs, services, or activities. Discrimination against any person in recruitment, examination, appointment, training, promotion, retention, discipline or any other employment practices because of non-merit factors shall be prohibited. For ADA inquiries, contact Josie Bass, ADA Compliance Coordinator, at (615) 862-7150 or e-mail her at email@example.com. For Title VI inquiries, contact Human Relations at (615) 880-3370. For all employment-related inquiries, contact Human Resources at (615) 862-6640.