SOM, one of the most influential design firms in the world, is seeking innovative, creative, independent, and critical thinkers who aspire to the highest standards of excellence. Join our collaborative design practice as an Urban Designer for the opportunity to build a strong and thriving career.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for various portions of master plan and site plan development documents as well as team working on assigned tasks within a project.
- Solves complex problems in connection with the urban design, planning and landscape architecture design of large projects.
- Develops urban design and planning concept incorporating site planning.
- Oversees the preparation of complete design documents on major projects and reviews all documents.
- Reviews design documents for compliance with approved program requirements of the client.
- Support client and multi-disciplinary sub-consultant team communications.
- Must be able to work with minimum supervision.
Desired skills and expertise:
- Completion of a five-year or six-year architectural degree program and graduate of one-two year urban design / planning program.
- Limited experience in the architectural and/or urban design and planning profession.
- Minimum three to five progressively responsible experience in all phases of urban and landscape design and planning and substantial experience in the design of large scale projects.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of landscape architectural and/or urban design and planning, documentation, zoning codes, diagramming, massing, building and open space typologies / morphologies, and development cost estimates.
- Demonstrated practical knowledge of landscape architectural and/or urban design and planning practice including programming and master planning.
- Demonstrated experience in community outreach.
- Demonstrated excellence in urban design, 3-D building massing conceptualization
- Outstanding graphic presentation skills.
- Candidate must demonstrate computer skills, including proficiency with AutoCAD, Adobe CS Suite and presentation software.
- Ability to use GIS and 3-D computer modeling software is a plus.
- Highly-motivated, good team player, and possess strong oral and written communication, and organizational skills.
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM's employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment_opportunities_and_policy
For all applications, please apply at http://www.som.com/about/careers under the SF- Urban Designer requisition.
For more about SOM: www.som.com/