Director of Design and Construction
Trinity Park Conservancy is a nonprofit, 501c3 organization, founded in 2004 under the name of The Trinity Trust Foundation, to support and implement the recreational, economic development, and environmental stewardship components within the City of Dallas’ Trinity River Corridor Project. As an organization dedicated to strong urban design for Dallas’s largest public green space and stewardship of its river environment, we have raised more than $115 million in private philanthropy to support projects such as the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge, Margaret McDermott Bridge, CityDesign Studio, Ronald Kirk Bridge, Moore Pavilion and Amphitheatre, Trinity Corridor trails, and Harold Simmons Park.
Our purpose is fulfilling the promise of the Trinity River as the natural gathering place for Dallas.
Reporting to the CEO, this position manages the day-to-day activities of planning and design teams responsible for the acquisition, planning and design (including long term operations and maintenance considerations) of park development projects, negotiates professional service agreements and supervises park construction activities, and manages complex park planning initiatives.
The Director must be able to perform hands-on management of project planning, design and construction in a fast-paced environment. The Director must be able to demonstrate the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and demands, as well as supervise a highly skilled team of design, construction and other consultancies.
The Director must have an appreciation for design excellence with direct experience on large scale projects with a minimum of ten (10) years of design, construction and/or project delivery experience. A Bachelor’s Degree in Landscape Architecture, Architecture, Engineering, Community/Regional Planning, or closely related field.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each of the essential duties and responsibilities listed below. The duties and responsibilities include the following, though other duties may be assigned.
● Manages and directs the work of outside professionals engaged in the design and construction of capital projects;
● Administers and manages procurement processes to select and retain the necessary design and construction talent to deliver the projects;
● Develops and maintains projections for capital project budgets and schedules;
● Works with the fundraising team to coordinate design and funding efforts;
● Works closely with the finance team to ensure coordinated contract management, and that A/R and A/P efforts are carried out;
● Fosters a collaborative professional working relationship with the entire project team, including staff and consultants;
● Serve as secretary and staff support for the Design Advocacy Committee;
● Attend Conservancy Board meetings, as requested;
● Support events and activities of other team members by attending and helping as needed, including certain evenings and weekends.
Preferred Background and Skills
● Bachelor degree in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Construction Management, Advanced Degree preferred.
● Must have minimum ten (10) years of design, construction or related project management experience.
● Must have experience leading large-scale construction projects.
● Must have excellent interpersonal skills and experience in managing a project team of technical staff.
● Must be proficient in understanding design development and construction documentation
● Excellent communication skills, both orally and written with emphasis on explaining technical information to a variety of audiences.
● Strong curiosity and commitment to teamwork.
● Desire to be a team player and pitch-in wherever needed.
● Comfort in being outdoors in natural habitat as well as at social functions with influential people.
● The desire to be part of an organization that values service, people and the environment.
● Ability to work some nights and weekends.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please email interest letter and resume to Trena Lechleitner at email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please reference “2018 Director of Design and Construction” in the subject line of your email.
Trinity Park Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.