Chief of Codes, Permits, and Inspection Services
Supervises and manages professional engineering work of developer improvement projects, the County’s construction inspection program and the administration and inspection enforcement of the County’s Zoning and Forest Conservation Ordinances. The work involves managing the planning, design, permitting and construction inspection of work performed or to be performed by developers, or others of buildings and infrastructure as part of their development projects (i.e., buildings, grading, roadways and related structures, storm water management and drainage, water/sewer facilities, and related structures and appurtenances). Overall goals are set and the worker determines the specific tasks and assignments to be performed, independently handling new, unusual problems and deviations encountered in the work.
Essential Job Functions
- Manages the construction plan review, permitting, inspection and dedication processes related to the provision of infrastructure.
- Reviews planning, design and construction plan review comments and approves final construction plans. Ensures that construction projects meet approved plans reflecting County ordinances, specifications and standards.
- Ensures contractual and procedural uniformity in the management of projects totaling approximately $100 million per year.
- Acts as main point of contact for government agencies, utilities and engineering and architectural firms on construction related issues working toward final inspections, Use and Occupancy Permit issuance and bond release.
- Manages the enforcement of applicable development ordinances and building code. Interprets and applies development ordinances and building code. Serves as final approval within the Division of development ordinances and building codes and construction disciplines for bond release and Use and Occupancy Permit issuance.
- Prepares proposals for plan review, engineering, architectural and inspection services and manages such contracts.
- Prepares or reviews bid proposals.
- Manages the administration and inspection enforcement of the County's Zoning and Forest Conservation Ordinances.
- Responsible for providing staff support for the Nuisance Abatement Board, Electrical Board and Home Owners Association Dispute Resolution Board.
- Prepares and monitors the contracted privatized inspections for building, plumbing, electrical, infrastructure, and utility connections.
- Prepares and administers divisional budgets.
- Reviews and negotiates estimates, change orders and field orders and recommends appropriate actions.
- Approves progress payments for privatized contracts.
- Ensures that project right of ways and easements have been acquired.
- Settles disputes with property owners, developers, contractors, design engineers, architects and regulatory authorities.
- Updates and maintains County design manuals, standard details, and standard specifications including applicable ordinances. Also provides recommended updates to construction equipment, construction materials, construction methods, etc. Establishes bond amounts, processes bond reductions and recommends bond releases. Updates and maintains Inspectors Manual and pertinent forms.
- Supervises and manages staff: assigns and reviews work, and takes actions to adjust work, staffing and operations to meet requirements. Selects, trains and evaluates staff, and takes appropriate actions to improve performance when necessary. Initiates actions regarding hiring, transfer, promotion, payroll, leaves, performance and other personnel actions.
Performs related work as required. Serves on committees and work groups as assigned. Makes presentations to civic organizations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (These are pre-employment KSAs that apply only to Essential Job Functions.)
- The concepts and techniques of engineering as applied to developer projects, construction and inspection.
- Effective methods and techniques of organizing and managing engineering and inspection services.
- Effective methods of organizing and administering a building codes function.
- Effective techniques of supervision.
- Effective techniques of management.
- Building codes and their administration.
- Zoning ordinances.
- Organize and direct codes, permit, inspection and enforcement programs.
- Analyze problems and take or recommend appropriate technical actions.
- Represent the county and take or recommend official actions as county representative regarding construction of infrastructure, buildings, and inspection and zoning enforcement.
- Enforce the County's building and zoning codes and investigate complaints relating thereto.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others encountered in the work.
- Direct the work of engineers and technical staff, Inspections Superintendent, Building Code Official, Zoning Administrator and staff.
Required Qualifications (Note: Any acceptable combination of education, training and experience that provides the above knowledges, abilities and skills may be substituted on a full-time year for year basis.)
Training and/or Education
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Management, Architecture, Engineering, or related field.
Five years of progressively responsible managerial experience that includes supervisory experience, preferably in architecture, engineering, construction, or inspection environment.
Licenses or Certificates
Valid driver's license.
Registration as a Maryland Professional Engineer preferred.
The work is mostly sedentary with periods of light physical activity, and is performed in office surroundings. Typical positions require workers to walk or stand for long periods; lift and carry up to 20 pounds; climb stairs, bend, reach, hold, grasp and turn objects; and use fingers to operate computer or typewriter keyboards. The work requires the ability to speak normally and to use normal or aided vision and hearing.
Work is subject to interruptions and inflexible deadlines. Employee is subject to work beyond normal scheduled work hours.
Director of Planning & Growth Management
Building Code Official
Assistant to the Chief