Community Resilience Intern
Regional Plan Association (RPA) seeks an intern to support research and community workshops as part of its Equitable Adaptation project. In partnership with Make the Road NY (MTR), a community organization dedicated to issues including environmental justice, immigration, and labor, the project aims to build local climate change adaptation capacity in Latinx communities of central Queens. RPA’s role is to identify adaptation strategies that can be implemented by Make the Road members (individually, as a community, or in partnership with other organizations or city agencies), as well ways MTR can add climate change resilience to its robust legislative agenda and actions.
The Community Resilience Intern’s duties will include:
- Research climate adaptation strategy options for central Queens communities
- Identify potential opportunities to advance community resilience through partnerships with organizations, programs, and agencies
- Prepare materials for interactive community workshops
- Assist in facilitating community workshops
The ideal candidate will:
- Be currently enrolled or recently graduated from a masters program in Urban Planning or a related field
- Have experience or coursework in climate change resilience and/or environmental justice
- Have familiarity with ArcGIS and Adobe Creative Suite
- Be fluent in Spanish (strongly preferred)
There may be an opportunity for additional work on other RPA projects. The position is based in RPA’s New York office.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a resume and a brief (one page maximum) cover letter to the Jotform link. Because of the high volume of applications we receive, we regret that we are unable to reply to every applicant. We kindly request no phone calls or emails.
RPA conducts research, advocacy, and planning on regional and national priorities, including open space and environmental sustainability, transportation, economic development, and governance. Our team of talented professionals is passionate about developing and sharing ideas that foster thriving, healthy cities and communities.
We are an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization based in New York City, with offices in Stamford, CT and Princeton, NJ. We encourage a challenging, collaborative, and fun work environment. We also believe in work-life balance.
RPA is a workplace that values diversity. Employment and promotional opportunities are equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.