Senior Associate, State Programs & Advocacy
Regional Plan Association is seeking a self-motivated, dynamic individual for the position of Senior Associate. The Senior Associate will report to the Senior Vice President, State Programs and Advocacy, and work closely with a staff of interdisciplinary professionals. The Senior Associate will build support for RPA’s proposals and form alliances with external stakeholders on a range of urban planning issues including housing, transportation, sustainability, and resiliency. The work will be focused in New York City and Long Island, with occasional travel to other areas within the New York-New Jersey-Connecticut region.
We are looking for someone who shares our passion for fostering equitable, healthy, and sustainable cities and communities. We encourage a challenging, collaborative, and fun work environment. We also believe in work-life balance.
General responsibilities will include:
- Building support for RPA’s proposals, including implementation of congestion pricing, new surface transit lines (such as RPA’s proposed “Triboro” line), more affordable housing, and more inclusive planning
- Meeting with external stakeholders, elected officials, business groups, and community organizations in New York City and Long Island, with occasional travel to the Hudson Valley, New Jersey, and Connecticut
- Supporting the Senior Vice President and Vice President of State Programs and other senior staff
- Helping to manage RPA’s New York Committee
- Conducting media work, delivering public testimony, and preparing presentations
- Working with both RPA staff and project partners to organize meetings, forums and events
- Managing local planning projects, as necessary
- A minimum of three to five years of work experience and an undergraduate degree, and/or a graduate degree, preferably with a concentration in urban studies, urban planning, economics, geography, political science, architecture, sociology or other relevant field of study.
- Knowledge of local politics
- Excellent public speaking, organizational, analytical, design, writing and presentation skills, as well as experience working in teams
- Enthusiasm and willingness to take on considerable responsibility in a fast-paced office environment.
- Passion for social justice
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, design software (SketchUp) and Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
How to Apply
To apply, please submit resume, a brief (one page maximum) cover letter, three references, a writing sample and/or portfolio and any other relevant materials here. Because of the high volume of applications we receive, we regret that we are unable to reply to every applicant. We kindly request no phone calls or e-mails.
RPA conducts research, advocacy and planning on regional and national priorities including open space and environmental sustainability, transportation, economic development and governance. Our team of talented professionals are passionate about developing and sharing ideas that foster thriving, healthy cities and communities.
We are an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization based in New York City, with offices in Stamford, CT and Princeton, NJ. RPA is a workplace that values diversity. Employment and promotional opportunities are equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.