The Destination Sales and Marketing Group (DS&MG) is a mobility management company based in Arlington, VA. DS&MG has lead the way in the Transportation Demand Management (TDM) industry since 1998 and has a solid reputation as a firm that creates innovative programming with measurable results. DS&MG is contracted on a long-term basis with Arlington County Commuter Services (ACCS) to operate and manage Arlington Transportation Partners, BikeArlington, WalkArlington, MobilityLab, TDM for Site Plans, as well as providing brand strategy, and marketing and communications services for Capital Bikeshare.
We offer our clients a comprehensive suite of services to support successful transportation initiatives. Transportation Demand Management for Site Plans is a program that coordinates the design and implementation of large commercial, residential, and mixed-use building projects and ensures that commuter and transit infrastructure requirements and services enhance the mobility of residents, workforces, and visitors. The goal of TDM for Site Plans is to reduce single-occupant vehicle (SOV) trips in Arlington by incorporating important physical infrastructural features and programmatic elements, such as bike parking facilities, traveler information, and transit incentives, into new or renovated development at the time of construction.
DS&MG is seeking a Planning Specialist to work directly with developers and property managers to monitor compliance of mandated TDM conditions and provide technical assistance to property managers at existing special exception or use permit development sites in Arlington County. This position will report to the DS&MG, Property and Development Services Director. The individual will spend approximately 80% of the time managing a portfolio of properties in Arlington County and working with developers and property managers to evaluate, document and report on the implementation of TDM development requirements. 20% of the candidate’s time will be spent working strategically on research and development projects to modernize and improve the TDM for Site Plans program.
A strong candidate will have initiative and an eye for detail while working extensively with the development and business community. Must be comfortable contacting property managers and developers via meetings, phone calls, and email regarding development requirements.
- Manage and visit approximately 100 active site plan assignments on an annual basis.
- Evaluate, document, and provide technical assistance on the implementation of TDM programs and bicycle parking requirements at both site plan and special use permit developments.
- Educate property managers on their obligations under conditions of development and overall goals of TDM programs.
- Assist with: processing approvals of Transportation Management Plans and building permit drawings; documenting and evaluating completion of occupancy permit requirements; preparing and maintaining technical guidance documents, standards, and review processes for required elements of the TDM conditions of development
- Conduct research on related TDM and real estate topics and provide memos on implementation for Site Plans program.
- Maintain detailed records and documentation on compliance with conditions of development in electronic and hard copy tracking systems and databases.
- Conduct on-site interviews with building managers and maintain consistent follow up communications with sites.
- Conduct inspections of physical infrastructure at operating sites and active construction sites (bicycle parking, showers and lockers, transportation information displays, certain kinds of signage, etc.).
- Review and understand construction drawings and other technical diagrams.
- Coordinate efforts with Arlington Transportation Partners’ Business Development Division and internal Arlington County divisions such as Planning, Zoning, and Site Plan Review.
- Work with the team to identify opportunities for improvement, streamlining and collaboration within the site plan process and overall Property and Development Services program.
- Keep current with industry issues by participating in trainings, webinars & industry conferences.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-4 years of experience in zoning enforcement, property management, real estate, or related fields in an office environment
- Local government experience or customer service work experience preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for diverse contexts and audiences
- Proficiency in MS Office and database management
- Experience or demonstrated interest in transportation, behavior change, and sustainability
Please submit resume with cover letter to email@example.com and include Planning Specialist in the subject line. No phone calls please. Salary range is $50,000-$55,000 depending on experience. Benefits, compressed work schedule and 401K offered. This position is available immediately.