The City of San Mateo Community Development Department is looking for a highly qualified, experienced Senior Planner
Why Join our Department?
The City of San Mateo is a very progressive City that encourages staff and resident engagement to develop positive solutions that meet the demands of our community. You’ll be joining a team of talented professionals in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment dedicated to serving the San Mateo community. The Community Development Department’s core function is to ensure a quality built environment, healthy neighborhoods and a strong economic base in the City. The Department is working on or assisting other departments on city initiatives including the General Plan and Downtown Plan updates, Bicycle Master Plan update, Zoning Code amendments, implementation of recent state housing legislations, as well as review applications for civic facilities and private development projects.
What You’ll Do
This is a newly added position that will work closely with staff from multiple City departments with a focus on an array of long-range planning initiatives. You will join the Advanced Planning team working on existing initiatives including the update of the General Plan and Downtown Plan; provide support for other department’s master plans; may process larger, more complex civic facility and private development projects.
As the Senior Planner is the lead/advanced journey level, you will work independently in the research and analysis of planning issues, in the preparation of planning reports, studies and recommendations and in the supervision and coordination of assigned planning functions and processes.
For a complete list of duties, reference our job specifications at www.cityofsanmateo.org
Who You Are
- You possess knowledge of specific technical areas applicable to community planning, urban design or architectural design.
- You possess the ability to learn, interpret, and apply departmental policies, laws.
- You possess a desire to contribute to a positive work environment that fosters motivation and engagement in our workforce.
- You are an innovative doer who welcomes challenge, is resourceful and works well both independently and with others.
- You are an exceptional communicator (oral and written) with superior interpersonal skills.
- You are able to exercise good judgement and decision making abilities.
What You Bring
- You possess at least five (5) years of professional experience in the field of urban planning, including one year in a lead capacity or some supervisory experience.
- You possess an equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban or regional planning or a related field. A master’s degree in urban or regional planning, or related field is desirable.
- You possess a valid class C California driver’s License.
Bonus Points (highly desirable)
- Possession of certification from the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is desirable.
- Expertise in community planning, urban design, or architectural design is desirable.
What We Offer
- Comprehensive benefits package including generous paid leave and health benefits
- CalPERS retirement (2% @ 55 for classic members; 2% @ 62 for new members. Classic employees contribute 7.5% to CalPERS and New members contribute 6.25% to CalPERS with participation in the Social Security Program
- City contribution of 1.5% of base salary to Deferred Compensation and will match up to 1% of Employee contribution
- Free Fitness classes through City of San Mateo Parks and Recreation, Employee Assistance Program and Credit Union Membership
- Bilingual Differential $195 monthly (if applicable)
- This classification is represented by the San Mateo Management Employees Association
Are You Ready? Apply.
Submit an online application, résumé, and supplemental questionnaire at www.calopps.org or to the Human Resources Department, City of San Mateo, 330 W. 20th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94403, (650) 522-7260.
Recruitment will close byMay 25, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. or upon receipt of the first 50 applications, résumés(required), and supplemental questionnaires, whichever occurs first.