Planner I & II
Bryan County, GA is one of the fastest growing counties in the nation, with a current population of just over 35,000. The County has one of the highest median household incomes in the state and one of the state’s best public school systems. Just outside of the Savannah, GA metropolitan area, Bryan County expects to see continued commercial, industrial and residential development over the coming years and is seeking professional planners to help plan for this growth.
Bryan County, GA seeks qualified candidates for one available position, to be filled at the Planner I or Planner II level, depending on qualifications. Under the Planning & Zoning Director, the qualified applicant will perform professional-level work in the Planning & Zoning Department, with an emphasis in development review and floodplain management for the Bryan County, GA Board of County Commissioners.
Under specified direction from the Planning & Zoning Director, this is the entry-level class for the Planning Department. Incumbents entering this class have limited related work experience. Work performed at this level is routine and moderately complex. Generally, work is closely observed and reviewed both during the performance and upon completion.
Under general direction from the Planning & Zoning Director, this is the journey-level class in the Planner series. Work performed at this level is more complex in nature than entry-level and requires a thorough knowledge of professional planning and zoning practices. Incumbents assigned to this class are expected to perform the full range of work assigned to this class and to work with considerable independence and initiative.
Bryan County, GA is an emergency provider of services. Some emergencies, including weather-related emergencies, may necessitate Bryan County, GA employees to assist in areas of work which may not be directly related to the employees' specific job function, but which will be within the physical capabilities, training, and skills of the employee.
- Performs professional work in current and long-range planning. Analyzes and reviews development proposals and applications such as re-zoning requests, preliminary and final plats, minor subdivisions, architectural reviews, development permits, variance applications, building permits, temporary and special use permits, and occupational tax licenses for compliance with appropriate planning principles, county regulations, and policies.
- Prepares and implements elements of the Comprehensive Plan.
- Researches and prepares master plans, long-range planning studies, ordinance amendments, and reports on other planning issues.
- Prepares reports and recommendations as appropriate.
- Presents to the County Commission, Planning Commission and other boards and commissions in a publically-televised setting and serves in an advisory role, while conveying an understanding of development challenges; advises the Planning Commission regarding annexation, zoning changes, and land use topics.
- Organizes and facilitates meetings with developers and community groups to introduce and discuss new development proposals and planning projects.
- Answers planning, zoning, and development process questions from citizens, developers, and other agencies.
- Advises architects, builders, attorneys, contractors, engineers, and the public on the County's Comprehensive Plan, development policies, procedures, and standards and other land use matters including the current zoning of the property.
- May assist in research of these matters.
- Conducts field inspections to verify compliance with approved plans and conditions.
- Reviews and approves building permits for zoning compliance.
- Designs and prepares illustrative and graphic presentation materials for public hearings and meetings; utilize the County's mapping programs.
- Collects, records, and maintains databases of statistical and demographic information and is proficient in Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Retrieves manipulates and summarizes information for planning reports.
- Prepares articles and correspondence related to planning issues or projects.
- Prepares technical staff reports.
- Researches and prepares ordinances to implement growth and development policies prepare amendments to Zoning Ordinance and subdivision regulations.
- Is training towards or has the ability to administer FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program’s Community Rating System (CRS) and act as the CRS Coordinator for Bryan County, GA.
- Participates in regional planning efforts and federal census processes.
- Researches local, regional and national planning issues to support best practices for Bryan County.
- Researches and advises department and County on use of state and federal programs and funding for land use and development.
- May facilitate resolution of conflicting views on projects and negotiate and prepare developer agreements and contracts.
- May analyze socioeconomic forecasts and population trends and compile technical information.
- May research, review, apply and administer state and federal grants.
- May require supervisory responsibilities, including the training and timely monitoring of work projects by staff.
- Position may assist with special projects as needed and may be asked to perform other duties as assigned.
Applications are available online at www.bryancounty.org, applications and resume may be emailed to email@example.com
Bryan County is an equal opportunity employer, and we endorse the Americans’ Disability Act.
Bryan County does not discriminate based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability in any employment practice, educational program, or any other program, activity or service.
Bryan County is a registered participant in the federal work authorization program commonly known as E-verify. Bryan County uses the program to verify the employment eligibility of all new employees after the Employment Eligibility Verification Form (Form I-9) has been completed.
E-Verify Number: 157957
Authorization Date: March 3, 2010
E-Verify® is a registered trademark of U.S. Department of Homeland Security.