The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington, and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest City in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter of the City's square miles have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for a position as our Land Use Services Division Chiefposition.
Our work is driven by our 4 Guiding Principles:
- Aligning the work we do with our strategic plan
- Executing against our strategy and ensuring accountability for our results
- Promoting and encouraging a culture of leadership and ownership at all levels of the organization
- Promoting a culture of service excellence, creativity and entrepreneurship
The Land Use Services Division Chief is a senior management position within the City of Alexandria's Department of Planning and Zoning (P&Z). Among the primary responsibilities of the Land Use Services Division is to administer and enforce the City's Zoning Ordinance; review zoning plans and proposals for new construction, redevelopment, site development, and applications for zoning changes and variances; and to investigate and resolve zoning enforcement cases. The Division maintains the City's official zoning map; serves as a technical advisor to the public, developers, attorneys, architects, engineers, contractors, surveyors, and City officials on zoning regulations as necessary; and interprets the Zoning Ordinance in compliance with state and local authority.
There are three units within the Division: (1) the Zoning Unit staffs the Permit Center, reviews plans for consistency with the Zoning Ordinance and is the liaison to the Board of Zoning Appeals; (2) the Non-Development Case Unit processes public hearing and administrative cases including Special Use Permits, Encroachments, Vacations, and Subdivision applications; and (3) the Zoning Inspections Unit tracks cases to ensure enforcement of zoning requirements. The work of the Division is highly complex, intense, and necessary to ensure land use decisions are made in a manner that is consistent with the Zoning Ordinance and in a manner that fosters strong and healthy communities, viable commercial/retail areas, and attractive, engaging and accessible public amenities. Division staff are highly skilled and knowledgeable professionals and they look to the Chief to maintain strong lines of communication within and between all three units; to guide and support staff on career and professional development; to provide consistent direction on code and zoning regulations; to share information regarding Department, City and regional related industry trends and regulatory reforms; and to promote intra-departmental and interdepartmental coordination with the Division.
What You Should Bring
Candidate should be a strong motivated leader with an enthusiastic and collaborative work ethic, and have progressive management and leadership experience to effectively fulfill the responsibilities of this opportunity.
- Leads the Land Use Services Division (10 staff) in Planning and Zoning in the fulfillment of assigned regulatory functions through the creation and implementation of an annual Division work plan.
- Provides direct supervision over two unit managers and over the inspection staff.
- Reviews and provides input into evaluations for all Division staff and helps facilitate career and professional development opportunities for staff.
- Ensures staff is equipped with technical and other necessary resources to maximize productivity and effectiveness.
- Guides staff in the development and execution of civic engagement processes around regulatory cases and may directly manage such processes in certain cases.
- Assigns and oversees research and analytical processes for special projects and the production of documents relating to process improvements, and zoning and other regulatory reforms.
- Coordinates with other City departments and external agencies.
- Coordinates with other members of senior staff on agency decisions.
About the Department
The Department of Planning and Zoning works closely with the community in each area of the City to carry out City Council's Strategic Plan for vibrant, amenity-rich neighborhoods, protected historic resources, and vital local businesses. With the community as our partner in developing neighborhood plans and reviewing proposals for development projects and businesses, we continue to deliver on the Vision we have developed together.
MINIMUM & ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Master's degree; seven years of senior-level experience in the field of city planning, urban design, architecture, and/or landscape architecture, including two years supervisory experience;OR eight years of senior level experience combined with a graduate-level degree in urban planning and/or architecture, landscape architecture, engineering, public administration geographic information systems, geography;OR any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Master's Degree in urban planning and/or architecture, landscape architecture, public administration or related field; and 5 years of management experience in the field of city planning;ORan equivalent level of training, professional certifications, progressive management and leadership experience; experience directly in the area of zoning and permitting; knowledge and experience with the City and State Code Regulations and applicability of such regulations to the City; and proven project management and customer service experience.