Planner – Development Services 1 year Limited Duration
The City of Hillsboro’s Planning Department is looking for a one year limited duration, urban planner in its Development Services Division. *This position is subject to conversion to a regular employment pending City Council budget approval in June 2018.
As a Development Services Planner, you will get hands on experience in a variety of land use responsibilities including:
- Reviewing development projects for residential, industrial, commercial uses that can range greatly in scale and size
- Implementing the City’s updated Comprehensive Plan through development review
- Researching and processing land use development applications, permit applications, plans, amendments, variances and related documents
- Community Development Code administration
- Presenting at public hearings and community meetings
Skills you’ll bring to the table:
- Creative and innovative thinking
- Exceptional customer service
- Project coordination
- Basic understanding of state, regional and local planning structure, processes and codes
- Knowledge of landscaping design and installation principles
- Landscape plan preparation or review and/or experience in inspecting the installation of landscape materials
- Ability to fluently speak and write both English and Spanish
General Statement of Duties:
The principal function of an employee in this class is to perform entry and journey level professional routine current planning work. Responsibilities include reviewing, researching and processing planning and development applications, plans, amendments, variances, and related documents; conferring with other divisions, applicants and external agencies to resolve project issues; interpreting and communicating codes, laws and regulations, ensuring compliance with applicable standards; providing support and giving presentations to the community and governing groups; preparing code amendments; preparing drawings, plans, studies, reports, and other related documents.
Acceptable Experience and Training:
Bachelor’s degree in Regional Planning, Urban Design, Landscape Architecture, Geography or related field and, as assigned, up to two years of municipal planning related experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Preference will be given to candidates with professional experience in landscape plan preparation or review and/or experience in inspecting the installation of landscape materials. Preference will also be given to candidates who are bi-lingual and able to speak and write both English and Spanish.
Depending on assignment, some positions may require:
- Valid Driver’s License and safe driving record.
Please visit our website Hillsboro-Oregon.gov/Jobs to apply online through our link. For an alternative to our online application system you may download and print an application packet.
Employment applications must be completed online or returned by mail, fax or in person by the closing deadline of the position. Applications received after the filing deadline, by email, or without a resume and supplemental questions will not be considered. Resumes will not substitute for the employment application. Applications may be submitted by fax to meet the application deadline.
City of Hillsboro
150 E Main Street, Second Floor
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
The closing date for this position is 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 20, 2018. Qualified minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.