Multimodal Transportation Planner Coordinator
Multimodal Transportation Planner Coordinator (10420, Grade 26)
Area 2 Division of the Montgomery County Planning Department is seeking an experienced and motivated planner with strong transportation planning and design experience to join one of the nation's premier planning agencies and help shape Montgomery County for the 21st century. It is an opportunity to have a broad impact on the built environment, advocate for design excellence, and shape future communities that cover urban and suburban parts of Montgomery County.
This position requires strong oral and written communication skills; interest and ability to communicate directly with the public on technical transportation planning issues; knowledge of transportation planning and design, the ability to read and interpret roadway design and land use plans, and to analyze traffic studies. Must have strong presentation and writing skills and know intersection analysis procedures and best transportation demand management practices.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT DUTIES:
- Coordinate complex, transportation planning master planning and development review functions in high profile development areas;
- Participates in or leads community meetings;
- Serve as an internal expert on panels, committees, and task forces and may propose planning and transportation policies and amendments to the Zoning Ordinance or Comprehensive Plan in response to a variety of complex transportation policy and land-use issues;
- Assess transportation related impacts for a multimodal review of development projects, including adequacy of transportation circulation and network, transit, pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicular safety, and compliance with the County's regulations;
- Review multimodal transportation studies, transportation plans, and intersection analyses based on delay-based Highway Capacity Manual (HCM) guidelines and computational procedures;
- Coordinates and conducts transportation field observations, analyzes data, and conducts research to develop transportation recommendations for master plans;Prepare detailed reports, presentations and staff reports on complex transportation projects/initiatives, multimodal policies, among others; Represent the Department's positions at public hearings before the County Council and the Montgomery County Planning Board;Coordinate with incorporated cities, county and state transportation agencies, such as the Montgomery County Department of Transportation, the Maryland State Highway Administration, and the Maryland Transit Administration, and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority;