Economic Development Marketing Manager
Department: Community & Economic Development
Hours: Monday – Friday 19 hours a week
Framingham, with over 68,000 residents, over 45,000 workers and over 2,200 business establishments, is the economic and demographic center of a fast-growing Metrowest Region. The City of Framingham is committed to attracting new investment and jobs. To do this, the city provides funding to its Economic Development Industrial Corporation (EDIC) to promote appropriate growth. Framingham’s Division of Community & Economic Development (CED) provides staff support to the EDIC.
The EDIC has developed and is executing a marketing plan, with the support of a public relations consulting firm, focused on marketing Framingham to businesses as an attractive location, to work, live, and play. The plan has a multi-pronged approach, including a web site, www.chooseframingham.com, monthly electronic newsletters reaching over 1,000 business leaders and influencers, social media, and networking events. The EDIC also operates a number of smaller initiatives providing business intelligence, access to business networks, and small grants.
The EDIC seeks the assistance of a contractor Economic Development Marketing Manager, to assist with implementing the EDIC marketing plan and related initiatives. This person will report to the Director of CED and work collaboratively with the CED Deputy Director, EDIC Chair, vendors, and external stakeholders such as the Framingham Downtown Renaissance, the Metrowest Chamber of Commerce, and the Framingham Business Alliance.
For the right person, this role will offer exceptional exposure to economic development at the municipal level. This opportunity emerges as Framingham completes its transition to a city form of government, led by Yvonne Spicer, the city’s first mayor. The selected contractor will be a key player supporting the EDIC’s work to realize the mayor’s vision.
The position requires approximately 19 hours per week on projects and tasks that will advance the work of CED and the municipality. Key roles include:
• Coordinate the EDIC Marketing Program. Work with public relations consultant, providing EDIC inputs and tracking timelines. Manage the EDIC’s electronic marketing efforts. Coordinate content for the EDIC’s electronic newsletter and social media programs. Maintain the EDIC’s contact database. Develop and maintain monthly performance statistics. Draft web site updates.
• Support efforts to retain, expand and attract business investment & job creation. Assist CED Director with business outreach. Maintain, grow, and apply the EDIC’s customer relationship management (CRM) system. Conduct site searches to identify location options for growing businesses. Develop prospect lists for marketing & direct outreach. Schedule meetings and coordinate follow-up.
• Support the execution of EDIC events. Assist with developing event content, collateral & layout. Manage event invitations, coordinate the participation of speakers and service providers. On event day, assist with on-site logistics.
• Coordinate other EDIC programs. Provide customer service and administrative support towards the launch, conduct, & closure of EDIC grant programs.
• Other related tasks, as assigned.
We expect the contractor to work most hours from CED offices at 150 Concord Street in Framingham according to an agreed schedule. The work will occasionally include early morning or evening external meetings, including the monthly EDIC meeting, usually on the third Wednesday of each month, from 7-9 PM.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Education: Bachelor’s degree (B.A/B.S.) in business administration, marketing, economics, municipal planning, public administration, or equivalent.
Experience: Two years of economic development experience, focused on place marketing, business retention, expansion, and attraction. Or, two years of private-sector experience, focused on business-to-business marketing. Working experience with the MS-Office suite and CRM software (e.g., Salesforce, Act! etc.) is preferred.
Knowledge & Skills: Proven skill in establishing strong rapport with business executives and community leaders. Knowledge of the business location decision-making process. Skill with creating business-oriented messaging, in marketing copy and social media.
Bilingual abilities – Portuguese or Spanish – a plus
The city expects the selected contractor to work no more than 19 hours per week, with compensation not to exceed $25,000 over the 12-month contract term. Applicants must include their proposed hourly rate.
There are no associated benefits with this part-time, contract role. The city can reimburse pre-approved, job-related expenses, including mileage.
Working relationships: The position will function as a member of the CED team and report to the CED Director and work closely with the CED Deputy Director and EDIC Chair.
The Town of Framingham is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information and to apply, see link below.