Planner or Associate Planner
Urban Planning Partners seeks a highly-motivated urban planner to join our team. The focus of this position could be either environmental or policy and entitlement management focused:
CEQA/Environmental Planning Focus. This position is more focused on CEQA work, but will also likely include some planning policy work. Some highlights of our current projects include the Downtown Oakland Specific Plan EIR and the Irvington BART Station and Station Area Plan EIR at the plan level; project level CEQA work includes several significant development projects in Downtown Oakland and West Oakland (adjacent to the BART station), the extension of BART to Livermore, mixed-use and biotech projects in Foster City, and streamlined CEQA review for several infill projects in Berkeley and Oakland. Successful candidates for this position will have:
- A solid understanding of CEQA and the CEQA review process and a basic understanding of zoning and the city planning process.
- Experience working on or managing EIRs, Initial Studies, and other CEQA documents.
Policy and Entitlement Management. This position is more focused on policy planning projects, contract planning, and entitlement project management, but will also do some CEQA work. Select project highlights include: Policy Planning - Irvington BART Station Site Plan and Station Area Plan, Specific Plan for the reuse of a naval air station; Entitlements and Project Management - several progressive TOD and micro-unit projects, remote parking facilities with autonomous vehicle connections, and Contract Planning – we are currently providing contract planning for several Bay Area communities including Berkeley and Foster City primarily on a project-by-project basis or limited duration (i.e., one or two days per week). Successful candidates for this position will ideally have:
- A solid understanding of zoning and other planning policies and regulations, and typical city planning approval process and basic understanding of CEQA.
- Experience managing or assisting with land use entitlement work including determining the maximum development potential for a site, preparing assessments of applicable planning policies and development standards, preparing applications, coordinating with city staff on obtaining necessary approvals, and preparing/managing streamlined schedules).
- Experience performing public sector current planning work (either as an employee or as a contract planner) such as reviewing and analyzing application materials to make decisions regarding completeness and consistency with planning policies and regulations, drafting completeness letters and staff reports including resolutions and findings, and making presentations at public hearings.
Planners generally have 1-2 years of professional planning experience. Associate Planners generally have some project management experience and 3 or more years of planning experience (AICP certification a plus). Successful candidates will also have:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in planning, environmental studies or a related discipline.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects (including client communication, contract and budget management), ensure quality control, meet deadlines, and work collaboratively with others.
- Excellent writing and editing, research and analysis (qualitative and quantitative), communication, critical thinking, and presentation skills.
- Proficient in MS Word and Excel; working knowledge of Adobe CS desirable; experience with GIS and other graphics programs a plus.
- Detail-oriented with excellent time management skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in and lead project teams, take initiative, be a problem solver, manage multiple projects and ever-changing priorities, and work in a fast-paced and professional environment.
- Willingness to do what is needed to get the job done—this is critical in a small boutique firm, everyone does everything.
- Legal eligibility to work in the U.S. and a current driver’s license.
Urban Planning Partners is a small consulting firm with a diversity of clients and projects. The firm’s services include land use policy, environmental review, community engagement, contract planning, grant writing, and entitlement assistance. Learn more about the firm at www.up-partners.com.
For full-time employees, Urban Planning Partners offers excellent benefits (vacation, sick, and holiday pay; medical, dental, group life, and long- and short-term disability insurance plans; and a Simple IRA with company match). Urban Planning Partners is an equal opportunity employer. Compensation is commensurate with experience and abilities.
To apply and be considered, please follow these instructions:
- Email email@example.com and attach a single PDF file that includes your cover letter and resume. In your cover letter, express why you are a great fit for the role.
- Please write "Planner-Assoc" in the Subject line of the e-mail and name the PDF file as follows: Planner-Assoc last name_first initial_date, submitted in YY_MMDD format. (For example: Planner-Assoc Smith_L_18_0227.pdf.)