Data Development Lead
Policymap Data Development Lead
Job Title: Data Development Lead
Department: Data and Content Development
Reports to: Vice President, Data and Content Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared Date: January 24, 2018
Location: Philadelphia, PA
About PolicyMap, INC
PolicyMap is a national online mapping tool and platform that enables government, commercial, non-profit and academic institutions to access data about communities and markets across the US. It is used for research, market studies, business planning, site selection, grant applications and impact analysis. We offer access to the PolicyMap tool through subscriptions and enterprise access, license the underlying data in our platform and help organizations and companies bring interactive mapping to their own websites. Launched in 2008, PolicyMap now has hundreds of customers, including federal, state and local government agencies, major universities, non-profit organizations, and commercial firms spanning real estate, banking and health care. PolicyMap is a Benefit Corporation founded on the belief thatdata has the power to change communities and markets. The problem is that getting that information is not simple or efficient. Data and analytics need to be reliable, consistent, and relevant. They need to be readily accessible. And they need to be responsive to the issues public and civic organizations are trying to understand. Changes in technology and the expansion of online mapping applications are creating new opportunities for the public and civic sectors to increase their ability to use and share good data and analytics to inform decisions.
PolicyMap seeks a Data Development Lead to manage the Data Development Team within the Data and Content Development Department by crafting and implementing the Data Development strategy through the creation of new data and analytics, the maintenance of existing data and the support of new data partnerships for the expansion of PolicyMap’s reach and knowledge base. The Data Development Lead will be responsible for managing and maintaining all aspects of the data development strategy, including brand exposure, and will work in a coordinative role with the Content Marketing Team to ensure consistency of data production and messaging. He/she will report to the Vice President of Data and Content Development to implement overall data development direction. As a leader within the Data and Content Development department, the Data Development Lead will regularly brief the PolicyMap senior team on all new data development and strategy evaluation.
The Data Development Lead manages the Data Development Team by creating and overseeing the creation of new, unique data indicators derived from the combination of public and proprietary data using rigorous statistical methods. The Data Development Lead is also responsible for ensuring the maintenance of existing datasets on PolicyMap. Essential to the position is the capacity to contribute meaningfully to PolicyMap’s role as a thought leader in data and mapping by bringing fresh, relevant ideas to our blog, social media and Mapchats webinar series.
Reporting to the Vice President of Data and Content Development, the Data Development Lead manages and implements the data development pipeline using MS SQL Server Management Studio, MS Access and ArcGIS. He/she needs to have strong writing, project management, and team management skills.
The Data and Content Development department prizes attention to detail; enthusiasm for our products and our clients are core values. We work well independently, and we take ownership of our individual workloads, while leveraging the strengths of all our team members through collaboration. The 6-person Data and Content Development department is agile, creative, and uses the best tools and approaches at hand for each task. PolicyMap’s office in Midtown Village provides a casual-dress work environment that matches our creative, collaborative culture.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Data Strategy Implementation
- Create, implement and maintain all aspects of a data development strategy for review by the PolicyMap senior team
- Create original, unique data and analytics new to PolicyMap
- Manage Data Development Team of data analysts
- Ensure and implement the collection, processing and documentation of our datasets using SQL, MS Access and ArcGIS
- Author documentation of process and dataset indicators
- Communicate with Tech Team to ensure data appears properly in PolicyMap
- Coordinate with Content Marketing Lead to ensure Data Development and Content Marketing efforts are aligned
- Provide validation and quality assurance of datasets
- Validate team members’ datasets
- Brainstorm ideas and contribute to PolicyMap’s social media efforts, blog articles and Mapchats webinar series related to current policy topics
- Identify researchers at aligned organizations and universities to jointly pursue data development
- Propose and present at conferences with partners to illuminate PolicyMap’s data development thought leadership
- Participate in occasionally testing beta versions of new features
- Coordinate data development with Data Services Lead, as necessary
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Master’s Degree or Doctorate of Philosophy in urban planning, public policy, health services research, economics, public health, anthropology, sociology, demography or other related fields
- Eight years’ commensurate work experience required
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience required with GIS (ArcGIS), SQL and MS Access; one or more statistical software programs (SPSS, SAS, R) a plus
- Experience using federal data, such as U.S. Census and Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)
- Familiarity with current public policy issues and community development concerns
- Proven organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent technical and compositional writing skills
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent team leadership skills
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ownership/Accountability – Actively manages work and issues through to completion.
- Customer Service – Understands and manages customer expectations.
- Initiative – Anticipates and communicates challenges and opportunities.
- Commitment – Demonstrates sense of passion and urgency for work, mission and organization.
- Adaptability – Sees opportunity and risk for continuous improvement.
- Efficiency and Productivity – Determines priorities and allocates time and focus accordingly.
- Professional/Technical Expertise – Understands and applies technical/procedural knowledge of job.
Compensation and Benefits:
PolicyMap offers a competitive salary based on experience and skills, as well as an excellent benefits package including employer-paid health, disability and life insurance, 401(k) savings plan with employer match, flexible spending accounts (medical, dependent care, and transportation), tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off, and EAP program.
Please mail or emailresume withcover letter, salary requirement and research and/or writing sample to:
Vice President, Data and Content Development
1315 Walnut Street, Suite 1500
Philadelphia, PA 19107
PolicyMap, Inc. usesE-Verifyto validate all new hires’ ability to legally work in the United States. PolicyMap, Inc. is anEqual Opportunity Employer. PolicyMap, Inc. does not discriminate in hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, non-job related disability, or status as a veteran. Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.