Position: Program Associate - Quality Public Spaces and Transportation
The Memphis Medical District Collaborative (MMDC) seeks a qualified Program Associate to join our growing team. Established in February 2016, MMDC is a not-for-profit, community development organization committed to strengthening the communities between and around the eight major anchor institutions in the Memphis Medical District. MMDC seeks applicants who have a proven record of developing, operating and managing community development programs, projects and activities in existing urban contexts.
The Memphis Medical District is home to eight medical and educational anchor institutions and more than 9,500 residents. Together, the institutions have more than 24,000 employees and students, a collective operating budget of $2.7 Billion, are in the midst of more than $3 Billion in planned or current capital expansions, and control more than 250 acres of real estate. The institutions, along with local and national philanthropy support the work of MMDC to revitalize the Memphis Medical District and create a vibrant link between Downtown and Midtown Memphis.
MMDC Program Portfolios
MMDC’s approach is comprehensive and inclusive of residents, employees, students, and visitors to the district. MMDC focuses on the following five program portfolios:
- Quality Public Spaces– Parks, Streetscapes, Landscaping, Placemaking, and Programming.
- Clean and Safe Streets–Coordination of greening, cleaning, and safety efforts across the District.
- Community and Economic Development –Supporting and connecting the diverse neighborhoods in the district through growing and attracting small businesses, as well as programs focused on economic inclusion.
- Real-estate– Cultivating a rich environment for appropriate development with a focus on creating mixed-use, mixed income places.
- Transportation– Working with anchor institutions to launch a Transportation Management Association to increase transportation options to and around the Medical District.
Program Associate Responsibilities
The Program Associate position will support the Quality Public Spaces and Transportation portfolios in developing and implementation its programs in the Medical District. This portfolio includes work involving:
- Designing, coordinating and managing innovative streetscape and landscape improvements in the Medical District;
- Supporting transportation and mobility in both the planning and development of transportation management association programs;
- Engaging neighborhoods and partners related to transportation, mobility, and quality public spaces;
- Supporting creative placemaking efforts in the District that are intended to connect people to places;
- Providing governmental outreach and coordination around programs and policies related to public spaces, transportation, and mobility;
- Supporting programming and events in the District; and
- Collecting and analyzing data for presentations, program design, and program evaluation.
This position requires experience within the planning, transportation, and design profession. You will have the opportunity to work on a variety of project types in a variety of roles. You will gain valuable experience working on exciting projects and you will have the opportunity to work directly with partners, project managers, and other teammates within MMDC.
The ideal candidate will be an urbanist with a deep understanding of cities and city building strategies. They will be committed to the regeneration of urban neighborhoods and to working closely with our network of medical and educational anchor institutions, advisers, local businesses and community leaders. The candidate must be an energetic, self-starter, who is well organized, and capable of functioning in a very independent situation. The candidate must be confident working in a fast-paced, start-up environment, and possess a desire to grow within a dynamic and high-performing team. Additionally, the candidate must have:
- Experience with planning, urban design, architecture, or transportation;
- An understanding of urban planning principles and practices and/or community development principles and procedures;
- A background with program management;
- Experience with GIS; data analytics; or design software is a plus.
- Knowledge of community development, real estate, and/or community engagement is a plus.
More, we are seeking a candidate with the following attributes:
- Has a positive, open, creative and flexible attitude;
- Is comfortable managing several different types of projects simultaneously;
- Collaborates and openly shares information with team and stakeholders;
- Analyzes data, national trends, and research; and
- Wants to grow with a group of people working to make Memphis a more vibrant place.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field with a minimum of two years’ professional experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be comfortable advocating for your positions and speaking in public.
- Strong organizational skills and commitment to meet deadlines.
- Passion for social, economic and/or civic issues.
- Experience with place-based initiatives (ie. CDC; medical district; innovation district; neighborhood redevelopment).
If you are interested in applying, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter, let us know why you are interested in this type of work and specifically what your experiences have taught you about how design of the built environment, transportation options, and community work together to make great places.
NO PHONE CALLS. For more information: www.mdcollaborative.org.