Closes: The position is open until filled with applications reviewed beginning Monday, February 12, 2018.
Status: Regular Full-time, 40 hours per week; Exempt FLSA status.
Salary: The starting salary range is $50,280 - $55,000 annually, DOE, with full benefits.
Location:Puget Sound Regional Council; Downtown – Seattle, Washington
The Puget Sound Regional Council is the regional transportation, growth management and economic development planning agency serving Seattle and the central Puget Sound. The thriving region is home to over 4 million people and is one of the nation’s fastest growing metropolitan areas. PSRC brings together the region’s counties, cities and towns, native tribes, ports, the state of Washington and civic interests to understand the challenges facing our region’s future and make plans for the region to continue to succeed. The agency serves as the region’s Metropolitan Planning Organization and also plays the leading regional role in growth management and economic development under state and federal laws. Visit www.psrc.org to find out more. PSRC is an equal opportunity employer.
PSRC is seeking an Assistant Planner to perform a variety of professional analysis, planning, and research tasks. The position will support the Regional Planning Division within the Planning Department, providing a bridge between the agency’s Growth Management and Transportation Planning Divisions. This work supports the update and implementation of the region’s long range Regional Transportation Plan and the region’s growth management plan, VISION 2040.
A qualified applicant for this position will have enthusiasm for regional planning, exceptional analytic and communications skills, and familiarity with growth management and transportation planning. The position will be responsible for various quantitative and qualitative analyses in support of land use and transportation planning related work including, but not limited to the following program areas: integrated transportation and land use planning, transit-oriented development, transit planning, special needs transportation planning, transportation demand management, housing, social equity, and performance monitoring.
The Assistant Planner will research, analyze, and summarize data and prepare final reports for presentation and publication. The position will also assist in providing staff support to PSRC advisory committees.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience researching, writing, and presenting information about transportation planning, and/or regional and local planning.
- Knowledge of current public policy, planning strategies and legislation related to regional transportation and growth planning issues, including implementation of the Washington State Growth Management Act.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Desire to serve the public, collaborate with other agencies and departments, and work closely with other planning team members.
- Familiarity with methodologies for collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data for planning and policy-related research.
- Experience with GIS mapping, graphic presentation, and database management is desirable.
- Some experience in providing technical support to committees, boards, councils, or other advisory or decision making bodies is desirable.
- Ability to perform other related duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- Bachelor’s degree in planning or related field.
- One year experience in urban planning/transportation planning.
- Or, any combination of education and experience that would provide the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge, and ability required to perform the job.
- To be considered, applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and completed, signed PSRC application.
- The voluntary, confidential Equal Employment Opportunity, Applicant’s Invitation to Self-Identify – Veteran Status, and Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms are appreciated for applicant tracking purposes.
- For application materials, please visit http://www.psrc.org/about/careers.
- Completed materials can be emailed to email@example.com, faxed to 206-587-4825, or mailed to: Puget Sound Regional Council, attn.: HR, 1011 Western Ave., Suite 500, Seattle, WA 98104.