Senior Planner/Assistant to the City Manager
This position is a unique opportunity to play a critical role in a small, historic Napa Valley community that is experiencing an unprecedented level of development and redevelopment. The successful candidate may have the ability to move into an upper-management position after several years of proven ability.
In the Senior Planner role, you will work on a wide range of projects – including resorts, wineries, multi-family housing and the potential redevelopment of the local fairgrounds – from their early stages through construction. You will have primary responsibility for ensuring that these projects preserve and enhance Calistoga’s rural, small-town character.
As part of your typical duties, you will:
- Review commercial and residential development proposals, plans and special studies, and coordinate project reviews with other departments and outside agencies
- Confer with and advise architects, designers, builders, attorneys, contractors, engineers, and the general public regarding City development policies and standards
- Prepare environmental documents as prescribed by the California Environmental Quality Act
- Develop and make presentations to the Planning Commission, City Council and community groups
- Interpret and apply applicable federal and state laws, local codes and regulations, including those governing general plans, planned developments, environmental quality, zoning and land use
- Assist the public in understanding the City’s regulations for allowed uses and potential (re)development of their property
- Prepare maps and exhibits using ArcView GIS
- Work closely with the Building Section in reviewing building permit applications
- Represent the City at regional and government agency meetings
- Participate in professional groups and committees.
In the Assistant to the City Manager part of the position, you will be involved in specialized duties as assigned by the City Manager.
These duties could include:
- Developing a Capital Improvement Program report that shows progress updates, funding status and provides other details to the City Council
- Assisting department directors with conducting staffing analyses for future workload demands
- Participating in project-specific negotiations and collaborations related to housing
- Performing introductory human resources work which includes personnel management and training
Outstanding written/oral communication and organizational skills are critical to the success of this position. Also important is the ability to pro-actively engage with other members of the City’s small staff to identify and address concerns that arise during the development review process.
The successful candidate will be friendly, enthusiastic and energetic, and have the ability to work in a positive way with other City employees.
FIRST REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
November 10, 2017 at 4:30p.m.
APPLY ONLINE NOW
Contact Human Resources with any questions at 707-942-2803 or email@example.com