Manager, ULI San Francisco
Urban Land Institute
San Francisco, CA
Experience Level: Mid-Level
About the Organization
ULI is a global research and education nonprofit organization whose mission is to shape the future of the built environment for transformative impact in communities worldwide. It is the oldest and largest network of cross disciplinary real estate and land experts in the world, with over 45,000 members. For more information, please visit https://uli.org.
About ULI San Francisco
ULI San Francisco is the San Francisco Bay Area’s preeminent global organization focused on creating and sustaining thriving communities through wise land use, development, and redevelopment decisions. We bring together a dedicated multidisciplinary community of professionals that deliver market-based, innovative solutions that can be implemented in the Bay Area and beyond.
As integrators, we share real-world knowledge and best practices, and offer a wide range of in-depth educational programming and resources for members of the organization and the broader Bay Area community.
With over 2,100 members across the Bay Area, ULI San Francisco (ULI SF) is one of the Urban Land Institute’s largest district councils. ULI SF is supported by a team of five full-time staff members who come from a variety of backgrounds in sustainability, real estate, design, and community development.
About the Role
ULI is pleased to announce the Manager, ULI San Francisco position! In coordination with the Executive Director, Senior Director, and other ULI SF staff, the ULI SF Manager will oversee many aspects of the organization’s educational programming strategy and implementation, professional development programs, membership and marketing initiatives, and UrbanPlan program. The Manager reports to the Senior Director. Specific responsibilities include:
Programming and Events
Bay Area Programs
- In collaboration with the Bay Area Programs co-chairs, oversee the development and implementation of dozens of timely, relevant, and high-value programs and events most relevant to our members, the broader industry, and ULI’s mission.
- Work with Bay Area Programs co-chairs to set agendas for Bay Area Programs committee meetings and attend committee meetings to provide support to programming committees.
- Supervise Associates in the execution of all programming that falls under Bay Area Programs and its reporting committees.
- Ensure coordination and collaboration between committees when appropriate.
- Prepare and manage programming committee budgets. Work with staff to stay on budget with program execution and reach financial targets.
- Develop, manage and improve internal systems to streamline the delivery of dozens of events annually.
San Francisco Programs Committee
- Manage the SF Programs Committee which reports to the Bay Area Programs Committee, to deliver relevant timely programming.
- Work with committee members to identify relevant speakers and content.
- Attend monthly meetings, coordinating with co-chairs to produce agendas and related materials.
- Track expenses for programs to meet or exceed budgetary performance for programs.
- Attend all events to ensure high-quality execution and handle logistics.
- Provide management, event planning, and administrative support to the NEXT Committee which delivers programming and professional development to mid-career professionals.
- Attend monthly committee meetings, coordinating with co-chairs to produce agendas and relevant meeting materials.
- Help guide the programming aspects of NEXT events by working with committee members to identify speakers and content.
- Implement and coordinate logistics for NEXT professional development programs, such as the NEXT Cohort Program.
- Track expenses for NEXT programs to ensure budgets are met or exceeded.
Membership & Marketing
- Manage the Member Engagement Committee, including meeting coordination, updating work plans, and providing membership reports as needed.
- Plan and execute several New Member events throughout the year.
- Work closely with committee leadership to create and implement New Member cohorts.
- Take the lead in ensuring a positive member experience from joining and welcome through ongoing engagement and retention.
- Create and execute marketing efforts to share the benefits of membership and drive membership uptake and renewal.
Marketing & Communications
- Create and implement a marketing and communications strategy for ULI SF to support its mission, promote its events and initiatives, and drive membership and sponsorship.
- Develop and maintain timely, high-quality content on ULI SF’s website and social media accounts.
- Supervise Associates in delivering communications initiatives, including, but not limited to, newsletters, social media campaigns, email marketing, press releases, and annual impact reports.
- Measure and track the effectiveness of marketing and communications plans and initiatives.
- Supervise Associates in updating the ULI SF website and social media accounts.
- Manage the UrbanPlan (UP) Committee, which has oversight of the UP program, to:
- Analyze data on volunteer participation. Recruit new volunteers to trainings and convert trainees to active classroom volunteers.
- Ensure there are enough committee members to fill all of the committee roles.
- Work with Executive Director and UP Coordinator to prepare the UP classroom schedule for each semester.
- Ensure the online classroom scheduler is updated regularly and that all School Champions, volunteers, the UP contractor, and ULI SF staff have access to the scheduler.
- Work with UP Coordinator and Associates to ensure that there are volunteers for all facilitations and city council sessions, including recruitment, reminders, and sending refresher materials.
- Work with Executive Director and UP Coordinator on the UP annual budget.
- Act as primary point of contact with ULI headquarters regarding the UrbanPlan program, including fulfilling requests for data and information.
- Execute UP events such as the Annual UP volunteer appreciation event.
UrbanPlan for Communities (UP4C)
- Recruit and manage trained UP4C instructor(s) and volunteers for each workshop and organize prep call(s) and distribute materials as needed.
- Foster and manage past and current client relations. Coordinate marketing of the workshops to potential clients.
- Serve as the primary contact with client liaisons, elected and appointed public officials, and community stakeholders who are invited to participate in the workshops.
- Manage all logistics before, after, and during the workshops.
- Provide onsite support for in-person workshops and Zoom support for all virtual workshops.
- Serve as a back-up instructor or volunteer when necessary.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is interested in the real estate and land use industry and is eager to learn more. Through daily collaboration with a passionate team and committed industry members professionals, the ULI Manager will have the opportunity to not only build their network but also stay abreast of the top issues in the real estate industry. ULI staff is able to attend all ULI SF programs and ULI national webinar trainings to build upon their knowledge, skills, and professional development interests. The Manager should have the capacity to manage, execute, and complete programs and initiatives with minimal supervision. The Manager must be a hardworking, proactive, self-reliant, and detail-oriented person with a strong commitment to ULI’s mission and core initiatives and its members’ interests and drivers.
- BA degree strongly preferred, ideally in a related field such as urban planning, public administration, or real estate development, or comparable experience. 6+ years of related experience in the public, private, or nonprofit sector, preferably in the area of land use and real estate development.
- Community-minded person with strong commitment to the ULI mission.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills to work with senior business and public sector executives.
- Experience in event planning and experience working with and managing volunteers is preferable.
- Strong project management, organizational, and time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and handle multiple tasks concurrently and completely, with responsible follow-through. Ability to initiate tasks and assume responsibility for them, and to work with minimal supervision in a high-production position.
- Experience supervising staff is desirable.
- Fluent/proficient computer skills and strong aptitude with computer software for applications in word processing (Microsoft Office), spreadsheets (Excel), and social media are required. Design skills (Adobe Creative Suite) and website software (WordPress and basic HTML) a bonus.
- Ability to attend ULI events (in the early morning or evening) throughout the region. Ability to lift 30 pounds is required.
ULI has a robust benefits package including health, dental, and life insurance, vacation and a retirement plan. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Expand HR Consulting (EHR) has been retained to conduct the search. To apply, please submit your letter of interest and resume to EHR, Erica Raphael, Sr. Consultant, eraphael(at)expandhr.com.
ULI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran or active military status, alienage or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, familial status, unemployment status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or any other status protected by applicable law.
Email: [email protected]
Posted November 17, 2021, 11:49 AM PST
Find your next career opportunity in planning and urban design.
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research
City of San Carlos
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research
City of Royal Oak, Michigan