Keep up with essential planning news and commentary, delivered to your inbox every Monday and Thursday.
Urban Planner III - Landscape Architect
The City of Alexandria is located in Northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter square miles in the city have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Urban Planner III position.
The Urban Planner III in the Development Review Division is a highly motivated, creative and responsible employee with knowledge and experience in planning and land use regulatory practices and procedures and strong analytical, project management, and communication skills. This Planner will review a wide variety of Development projects against the City of Alexandria's Zoning Ordinance, Small Area Plans, design guidelines, Green Building Policy, Environmental Action Plan 2040 and other associated policies and programs such as LEED. The work is performed under the supervision of a Principal Planner and in a team environment. The employee in this position is assigned complex projects ranging from small to large scale development proposals and will take them through the development review process from the concept stage to final site plan. This Planner III is also able to manage competing priorities, assumes the lead on projects working closely with the applicant and with interdepartmental teams, and has extensive experience multi-tasking and communicating well with both internal and external stakeholders.
As a Landscape Architect, the Urban Planner III will be responsible for review of plans to ensure compliance with the City of Alexandria's Landscape Guidelines and similar master plans, policies, and standards that direct the planning and design of public and private developments.
The Opportunity - Examples of Work
- Independently manage development projects, in close coordination with the project team, including reviewing for compliance with zoning policy, small area plans, design guidelines, environmental guidelines and standards, and any previous approvals;
- Review development proposals of a broad range of scales, building permits, site plan revisions, site plan inspections, grading permits, landscape plans, and other work that is assigned within the planning area;
- Work with other professional planners on zoning policy and interpretation, neighborhood plans and implementation processes, design guidelines, and development studies and other special projects;
- Work with City departments on implementation of open space policy, Green Building Policy, LEED standards, and Environmental Action Plan 2040 policies and procedures;
- Write comprehensive staff reports, memoranda addressing policies and practices, letters to industry addressing required procedures and practices, development comments, and other materials, as needed for projects, and prepare associated graphics and handouts;
- Manage meetings, correspondence, and submissions for neighborhood groups, Boards and Commissions;
- Public speaking s before groups of various sizes and backgrounds, including professional presentations to Boards, Commissions and City Council;
- Collaborate with staff to create and document Department policies and procedures; and
- Perform related work as required.
About the Department
The Department of Planning and Zoning works closely with communities to carry out the City's Strategic Plan, fostering amenity-rich, service-oriented and equity-balanced neighborhoods; protecting historic and cultural resources; and supporting diverse and creative businesses. In developing neighborhood plans, reviewing development proposals, and promoting economic vitality, we continue our commitment to collaborate with all stakeholder groups to honor the character of each neighborhood and to strengthen and sustain them, and Alexandria as a whole, for now and in the future.
MINIMUM & ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Four-Year College Degree from an accredited college or university in Regional, or Urban Planning, or a closely related field such as Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Geography, Urban Studies, Public Administration, Physical Sciences, Historic Preservation, or Environmental Studies and five years of relevant planning experience or two years and a Master's Degree; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Four-Year College Degree with five years of relevant planning experience in urban settings or three years with a Master's Degree of which at least two years of experience in development review, leading the review of complex land use applications for a local government, including applying zoning, building permit and code standards, and in the development of reports pertaining to land use policies, landscape/open space/design guidelines or other regulatory guidelines. Registered or licensed Landscape Architect with experience in public and private developments and government clientele. Experience with urban design, spatial programming, and best management practices within the field of Landscape Architecture. Proficiency in Microsoft Suite Programs, Adobe Creative Suite Programs, AutoCAD, BlueBeam, Geographic Information Systems and other graphic programs. Professional certification such as AICP, RLA, LEED AP, or RA is preferred.
This position requires the successful completion of a background check to include but not limited to a criminal records screening.
To apply for this position, please go to www.alexandriava.gov/jobs to submit an application.
Deadline: January 5, 2020.