Project Director, Los Angeles Market
ECONorthwest is an economics consulting firm headquartered in Portland, Oregon, with offices in Seattle, Bend, Boise, Eugene and most recently, Los Angeles. The firm has a 45-year history of economic policy analysis supporting public decision-making related to urban development, social and educational policies, and natural resources.
ECONorthwest is committed to steady, sustainable growth that expands its geographic reach and creates opportunities for interesting work. In June of 2019, ECONorthwest signed a lease for shared office space in Los Angeles which provides an ideal location to host meetings, collaborate with the teaming partners, and an office for the market’s first employees. The following position will be located in this Los Angeles office.
ECONorthwest is seeking a Project Director who will be a key senior contributor to the firm. He/she will initiate and direct project work, provide quality control, track and focus on the profitability of projects, collaborate on business development efforts across topics/tools, and develop networks with senior government and business leaders.
Essential Functions of the Position
- Lead Project Execution: Ability to assemble a team with the right mix of skills; understand how to share information, coach members, delegate responsibility, promote a supportive team environment focused on high quality product
- Problem-Solving and Decision-Making: Ability to analyze and define a problem, evaluate alternatives, and find a solution
- Client Focus: Understand the client’s needs, provide realistic expectations, reach agreement with the client from the outset of the project
- Quality Management: Ability to develop a clear and executable scope with an appropriate budget, take corrective actions, and verify project standards
- Motivation: Ability to motivate project managers and other staff, to set achievable objectives, to maintain a positive outlook, to take responsibility, to make decisions, and to provide constructive and regular feedback
- Communications: Respectful interactions in all circumstances. Ability to produce clear status reports (clear writing and verbal skills), communicate tactfully and candidly, inform senior staff and/or clients of pertinent issues, and be an excellent listener
Business and Development Practice Strategy
- Identify and interact with potential clients
- Lead proposal efforts
- Take the initiative to identify new clients and projects
- Ability to keep abreast of technological change, to learn from and reflect on the past, to find the most expedient way to develop new skills and knowledge required when undertaking new projects
- Ability to present the work we do in front of an audience or media personnel
LA-Specific Functions of the Position
- Develop a 24-month business plan and revenue forecast
- Solidify existing relationships with key teaming partners and clients
- Expand relationships with new teaming partners and clients
- Identify near-term project work opportunities
- Clarify market opportunities for an ECONorthwest presence in LA to inform an evolution of this LA strategy
- Guide hiring process and decisions
- Set revenue and billable expectations for new hires
- Direct project work, using ECONorthwest staff in the Portland and Seattle offices
Education and Experience
- A Masters or PhD is preferred: economics, mathematics, computer science, planning, political science, environmental policy, or a related field.
- A background in economics, with a minimum of 7-10 years of progressive experience in consulting.
- Strong skills in written and oral presentation
- Experience using quantitative and statistical methods
- Experience with public and private procurement methods
- Note: An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job will be considered.
Physical Requirements: Ability to work for long periods at a desk and computer.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and industry standards.
This position is a non-exempt, full-time (generally Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.–5p.m). ECONorthwest offers competitive wages and generous benefits including medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401(k), and paid holidays.
ECONorthwest is not a sponsoring organization. ECONorthwest is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To Apply: For this application, you will need a resume and cover letter.