About the Role
Under the general direction of the Township Supervisor, this position is responsible for all Planning operations for the Township including recommendations for the Planning Commission and Township Board with regards to the changes to the Township Master Plan, the zoning ordinance and other related development ordinances.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop planning studies and reports in support of new and updated plans, programs and regulations.
- Review development proposals and site plans for conformance with codes, plans and ordinances.
- Prepare and present detailed reports on development proposals to government bodies.
- Liaise between community groups, government agencies, developers and elected officials in developing neighborhood plans.
- Make presentations to community organizations, agencies, boards, commissions and Township management.
- Conduct field evaluations and assessments.
- Identify problems, issues, and opportunities in the Township that could be mitigated through better planning.
- Attend Board of Trustees, Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, and other meetings as needed, often held in the evenings after regular work hours.
- Analyze census and statistical data.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban planning, public administration, political science, architecture, or a related field (required).
- Considerable knowledge of Michigan land use statutes, regulations, and comprehensive planning processes.
- Organizational skills to develop project proposals and to satisfy project record-keeping requirements.
- Ability to identify and comprehend pertinent information; to understand instructions, regulations, guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Read and interpret blueprints and site plans.
- Work independently without close supervision or in a team environment as needed.
- Work concurrently on several projects in various stages of completion.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with citizens, developers, engineers and other professional and co-workers.