The City of Austin seeks a Planner Senior to be part of the Transportation Systems Development Division of the Austin Transportation Department. Under the direction of Division team leads, the position will be responsible for a wide range of transportation planning functions in the areas of transportation planning, policy, programming and capital project development. Duties include:
- Serve as a lead in the development of the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization 2045 Plan and other CAMPO-related initiatives on behalf of the City of Austin, such as identifying future amendments to the CAMPO Plan and its related Transportation Improvement Plan (TIP), assisting with applications for CAMPO funding on behalf the Department, supporting City of Austin CAMPO Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) members through coordination of work requested by the TAC, and developing recommendations for the City Council members serving on the Transportation Policy Board.
- Coordinate with TxDOT, Capital Metro and other regional agencies on transportation planning activities, such as Project Connect.
- Assist with the implementation of the Austin Strategic Mobility Plan (ASMP), including developing local plans and participating in public engagement activities.
- Present to City boards and commissions and community groups. Respond directly to community member requests and questions on planning processes.
- Conduct spatial analysis and map making using GIS for mapping; maintain online web maps and data.
- May assist with other Austin Transportation Department programs and projects as needed.
- Master’s degree in urban planning, architecture, transportation engineering, or public administration.
- Experience developing and/or implementing local and regional transportation plans and/or policies.
- Familiarity with the National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO) Design Guides and other transportation regulatory requirements and guidelines (i.e. local code, national Manual on Uniform Transportation Devices, ITE Trip Generation tables, etc.)
- Proficient with Geographic Information Systems software, Microsoft Office suite, and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with changing priorities.
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner with Division team members and across department Divisions, and a diverse group of stakeholders from multiple city departments and outside agencies.
- Excellent written and presentation skills.
Minimum qualifications include graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Planning, Geography, Social Science, Landscape Architecture, or a planning related field, plus five (5) years of planning related work.
Twelve (12) semester hours of relevant graduate college course work may substitute for six (6) months of required experience with a maximum substitution of two (2) years.
Experience in planning, related work may substitute for one the education up to the maximum of four (4) years.
To apply and be considered for this position, complete the on-line application in full and attach a resume and cover letter here: http://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/79863
About Austin, Texas
Austin has long been known as a technologically advanced city, a place where new ideas go to be tested and adopted. Austin has enjoyed a robust and diverse economy for the past 10 years, with economic indicators regularly exceeding national averages. Austin metropolitan area is one of the fastest growing in the country, with a 2.9 percent increase in population in 2016. Austin, Texas has a population of 926,000, making it the 11th largest city in the country. One of the country’s most popular, high-profile “green” and culturally dynamic cities, Austin was selected as the #1 Best Places to Live (US News and World Report 4/2017), # 5 Top 25 Future-Ready US Cities (Convention Management Association Convene Magazine, 2/2016), “Best City for the Next Decade” (Kiplinger), the “Best Places to Live in the US” (US News), the “Top Creative Center” in the US (Entrepreneur.com) and #1 on the “On Numbers Economic Index” as the fastest growing economy.
EOE - City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act