The Montgomery County Planning Department of The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCCPC) seeks an experienced and motivated Planner Coordinator (11564, Grade 26) to serve as a working leader/coordinator for designated urban and suburban projects, special studies, and master plans in the Area 2 planning division. This is an opportunity to help shape Montgomery County for the 21st century by having a broad impact on the built environment while advocating for design excellence, adequate mobility infrastructure, and Vision Zero.
M-NCPPC has enjoyed a national reputation for excellence in planning and serves a culturally diverse population of nearly two-million people on the border of Washington, DC. We at Montgomery Planning focus our skills and talents to bring high-quality design in both form and function to all areas, from central business districts to rural villages and have pioneered programs in agricultural preservation, inclusionary housing, and transit-oriented design. To learn more about us, visit www.montgomeryplanning.org.
The successful candidate will apply knowledge of planning standards, codes, and plans to develop alternatives to resolve planning problems. Daily tasks include reviewing, analyzing, and making recommendations on applications for development and rezoning; preparing urban design guidelines; and leading or participating in the preparation of comprehensive land use plans, particularly for plans that relate to multimodal transportation and Vision Zero.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT DUTIES:
- Lead the preparation of comprehensive land use and transportation plans
- Conduct civic engagement on significant projects with county wide land use and transportation planning impacts
- Analyze development applications (such as sketch plans and site plans), and rezoning applications
- Conduct special studies of complex planning problems
- Provide recommendations that will help integrate environmental and transportation considerations into the planning and development process
- Interpret and implement county planning policy
- Provide technical direction to staff on methodologies, issues, approaches, designs, and recommendations
- Coordinate inter-divisional project teams. Train and mentor staff
- Make presentations to Planning Board, County Council and community groups
- Assist with monitoring budget expenditures