Knoxville-Knox County Planning is looking for an individual who is results-oriented, has a positive, team attitude, works efficiently, and has a passion for public service. The Planning Technician position is a great entry-level opportunity for individuals interested in the urban planning profession.
The Planning Technician works in the Planning Services Division, which administers subdivision and zoning regulations for the City of Knoxville and Knox County. The division also studies community growth patterns and prepares plans that guide agency policies. The Planning Technician will spend a significant amount of time on administrative planning tasks and working closely with the public, providing customer service on planning issues.
Typical job duties:
- Review final and administrative subdivision plats for conformance with local regulations.
- Assist the public at the customer service counter, processing applications, forms, and plans.
- Respond to inquiries from contractors, developers, surveyors, engineers, architects, property owners, and citizens at the customer service counter, over the phone, and by email.
- Maintain accurate records concerning applications received and processed.
- Enter and update pertinent information in computerized database systems.
- Produce standard and specialized products utilizing geographic information systems.
- Provide support to Planning’s addressing function, including certification and background research.
Skills we are looking for:
- Strong GIS skills.
- Creative thinking and flexibility.
- Positive attitude and high level of personal accountability.
- Strong commitment to public service and community involvement.
- Ability to work as part of a team and across divisions.
- Ability to read and comprehend maps and complex written materials.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent.
- One to two years of increasingly responsible experience providing customer service at a public counter or office that provides planning, construction, architecture, engineering, or similar services.
- Bachelor’s degree in geography, urban planning, cartography, or related field with one year of experience, or associate’s degree with four years of relevant experience.
- Two-year certificate in GIS from a certified technical program, or a combination of course work and relevant work experience in an ESRI environment.
A complete job description is available at www.knoxplanning.org/about/employ
$35,000+ dependent upon qualifications.
How to apply:
Send your resume and cover letter to:
Knoxville-Knox County Planning
Suite 403, 400 Main Street
Knoxville, TN 37902
Or email to [email protected]
Review of resumes and cover letters will begin Monday, October 28, 2019. The position is open until filled. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Knoxville-Knox County Planning does not contact individual applicants during the open search period. You will be contacted only if selected for an interview. If you wish to confirm that your application materials have been received, please email [email protected] during the open search period.
The position requires a background check. If an offer of employment is made, it will be conditional, dependent on the outcome of a check of criminal history, vehicle driving record, credit history, and education/professional credentials.
Living in Knoxville, TN
- Home of the University of Tennessee flagship campus
- Abundance of outdoor recreation opportunities
- Moderate climate
- Eclectic neighborhoods and communities
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.