Smart World Planner
Job Description & Qualifications
Ford Mobility is seeking a motivated team member to be part of building out a new core competency focused on analyzing problems and exploring the future of the operating environment for all of our products and services – the urban street. This person will be assisting in devising and implementing real-world solutions to the unique challenges posed by the tectonic shift in the physical and policy environment due to technological change. This new focus will include experimenting, prototyping and managing the transition from today to tomorrow’s streets.
We are seeking critical thinkers with strong initiative, creative problem solving skills, personal initiative, analytical aptitude, and multidisciplinary professional experience working with diverse community groups in planning and/or development projects. Candidates must present excellent writing and public speaking abilities. Comfort with 3D renderings, mapping, and graphic design are highly desirable skills. An ideal candidate would possess an understanding of urban redevelopment, urban design, streetscape design, sustainability and land use.
- Contributing to and facilitating future-oriented street design projects incorporating new technologies to enable our future products and services
- Project management of projects ranging from research and strategy to urban design and streetscapes
- Designing and administering internal as well as public workshops and meetings on sensitive topics and actively following up on action items
- Overseeing planning or design consultants as required, providing guidance and monitoring quality
- Research and data gathering spanning a broad range of city planning topics
- Report writing and design, creation of presentations using PowerPoint
- Developing communications materials geared toward a variety of stakeholders. Creation of extensive infographics, maps and visualizations for a variety of projects including virtual 3D models to illustrate ideas in an accurate, intuitive, compelling manner
- Conducting outreach, fostering close relationships and confidently representing Ford to diverse stakeholder groups and strategic partners, continuously seeking to expand collaboration opportunities, building partnerships, and designing and implementing outreach strategies to support projects
- Presenting technical and complex planning information to Ford leadership, City staff, neighborhood stakeholders, public audiences and policy makers
- Work in multidisciplinary setting represented by a broad variety of professions and backgrounds to advance our aspiration to drive human progress through freedom of movement and become the world’s most trusted company
- Travel to local meetings and project sites will be required, including attendance and participation at evening meetings
- Master’s Degree in Urban/Regional/City Planning, Public Policy, Transportation Engineering or related field
- 3+ years of experience with project management
- 3+ years of experience with urban planning, urban design, open space, sustainability or infrastructure/ transportation planning
- Communications Design: Experience in communications design, graphic design and visualization with proficiency in using Microsoft and/or Adobe products to present complex urban planning concepts in an intuitive and compelling manner.
- 3D visualization: Experience or willingness to learn using SketchUp or other virtual 3D rendering programs to quickly create accurate 3D visualizations of urban spaces and streets. City Solutions uses Windows or Mac OS platform, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Suite, ESRI ArcGIS and SketchUp (pending final approval).
- Mapping: ability to create simple maps for reports and presentations using at minimum basic mapping applications like Google Earth and Google MyMaps, with the possibility to learn and use more advanced mapping applications like ESRI ArcGIS.
- Written Communications Skills: including technical or analytical writing for internal and external audiences; approaching less formal communications such as e-mails, letters, memos and notes with tact and poise.
- Public engagement: Strong public engagement, facilitation and consensus building experience, especially involving stakeholders with diverse interests and opinions
- Public Speaking: Strong verbal communication skills with experience creating and giving public presentations, communicating this information to large and small audiences at all levels inside and outside an organization
- Collaborative: Works well in groups and with people on all levels both within and outside the organization, helps resolve conflicts, facilitate meetings, is flexible and open-minded and focuses team on strategies and goals.
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to think on multiple time scales and consider significant trends, impacts, and information simultaneously.
- Desirable Working Knowledge: of zoning regulations, city ordinances, transportation funding processes and opportunities, and the latest best-practices in urban and transportation planning, real estate development, economic development, sustainability, urban design, placemaking, and stakeholder and public participation methods. A strong understanding of the key ingredients necessary in urban environments that enables vibrant public life. Familiarity with and interest in the complexities of U.S. street design guidelines, policies, and funding processes.
- Desirable project experience: Overall experience balanced between research, project management and implementation. Experience in collaborative and multidisciplinary team-based project work, in both leading and supporting roles. Skilled in managing major contracts with urban planning, architecture, or engineering consultants. Experience engaging with a diverse community, establishing trust, and managing a variety of complex relationships using collaborative negotiation skills in a city context. Familiarity and interest in human centered design approach and using a design thinking framework to dig deep into the root causes of major issues and find novel strategies to resolve them.
Join our team as we create tomorrow! We believe in putting people first, working together, and facing challenges head-on, because we are Built Ford Tough. We are one team striving to make people’s lives better while creating value, delivering excellence and ultimately going for the win.
Candidates for positions with Ford Motor Company must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position, TN visa holders may be considered.
Ford Motor Company is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.