Transportation Project Planner
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: The Community Development Department (CDD) is the planning agency for the City of Cambridge. Encompassing the Housing, Economic Development, Community Planning, Zoning and Development, and Environmental and Transportation Planning divisions, CDD’s mission is to foster a livable, sustainable, and equitable community. CDD engages and collaborates with community partners, other government agencies, and residents to make Cambridge a desirable place to live, work, learn, play, and innovate.
OVERALL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Transportation Project Planner will manage and oversee:
- the City’s public transit program;
- multi-modal, sustainable transportation infrastructure projects
- regional transportation planning processes
- other projects or initiatives as needed
The project planner will work closely with Community Development Department and other city staff, regional state and federal transportation agencies, community groups, and local business representatives. The Department utilizes a team approach to project implementation, and the ideal candidate should be equally comfortable acting as a team member and team leader on their projects.
- Master’s Degree in transportation planning, engineering or related field with 5 years related professional experience preferred; a bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 7 years directly relevant experience will also be considered.
- Strong understanding of multi-modal transportation planning and design needs in an urban setting.
- Strong understanding of public transit planning; ability to understand and analyze transit data and synthesize into a compelling justification for transit improvements.
- Strong understanding of progressive roadway design elements, transit standards and environmental regulations needed.
- Excellent project management, presentation, computer, writing and analytical skills. Ability to explain complex technical information to lay audiences
- Demonstrated experience in managing consultants and overseeing the production of designs and construction documents for sustainable transportation infrastructure.
- Ability to review plans, work with effectively with a diverse team, coordinate projects, and understand cost estimates required.
- Good negotiation skills and an ability to achieve consensus among diverse groups
- Demonstrated ability to function as a team member as well as project manager strongly desired.
- Knowledge of the Cambridge community is helpful.
- Professional Engineer’s license or AICP certification a plus.
RATE: $76,473- $101,530/ year + excellent municipal benefits package
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: [email protected] or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. For a complete job description, please visit our website at www.cambridgema.gov and click on ‘Apply for a Job’ Resume and letter of interest requested by 10/14/19. Position will remain open until filled. We are an AA/EEO Employer.