The Northeast Ohio Four County Regional Planning and Development Organization (NEFCO), a regional council of governments, has an immediate opening for an Environmental Planner. This is a full-time, permanent position. The selected candidate will report directly to the Executive Director and primarily perform activities under NEFCO’s water quality contract with the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (Ohio EPA). NEFCO is one of six Governor-designated Areawide Planning Agencies in Ohio.
Responsibilities and Related Activities
- Perform activities related to the update of the Region’s Clean Water Plan (Section 208 Plan)
- Assist the Ohio EPA by determining the consistency of pending discharge permits with NEFCO’s 208 Plan
- Prepare studies and reports as called for by NEFCO’s annual Ohio EPA water quality contract
- Staff support to NEFCO’s Environmental Resources Technical Advisory Committee (ERTAC); coordinate monthly ERTAC meetings, including identifying potential speakers, meeting topics
- Assist NEFCO’s county and local governments in securing water quality planning grants
- Provide water quality technical assistance to NEFCO’s members
- Contribute environmental planning articles for NEFCO’s newsletter
A Master’s Degree with pertinent planning or governmental experience preferred. An exceptional candidate with a Bachelor’s Degree and pertinent planning or governmental experience may be considered. Degree concentration should be in biology, geology, geography, or environmental studies.
Other qualities needed from potential candidates:
- Familiarity with the principles of water quality, including point and nonpoint source pollution
- Experience with informational sources of environmental (non-air) pollution
- Familiarity with water quality data and/or Ohio EPA water quality reports
- Experience with various types and sources of maps
- Superior writing skills
- Good organizational ability
- Public speaking experience and competence (effective communication skills)
- Proficiency required in common office computer software including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Valid State of Ohio driver’s license, a good driving record, and possession of liability coverage required. Occasional in-region or state travel with mileage reimbursement. Candidate should be willing to use personal transportation or have access to alternative transportation. Selected candidate must successfully complete and pass a background check and drug screening.
Sick leave (120 hours accrued per year), 12.5 paid holidays, 2 weeks paid vacation (to start), compensatory time provided for approved overtime. Free parking in enclosed deck adjoining office.
Employer/employee contributions to the State retirement system
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary needs to:
Joseph Hadley, Jr
175 S. Main Street, Suite 211
Akron, OH 44308
No phone calls please