Planning and Building Technician
McCool Development Solutions is a multi-disciplinary land use consulting firm comprised of planners, urban designers, downtown revitalization specialists and building permit expediting experts. We have an immediate opening for a Planning and Building Permit Technician. The ideal candidate to join our small, fun, innovative, and interdisciplinary firm must demonstrate a desire to become a seasoned facilitator between the public and private sectors relating to interpretation of local building and zoning codes to get projects under construction. The Planning and Building Permit Technician will work with the design teams and project managers in all aspects of the entitlement process. The work week is Monday through Friday but hours of work can vary depending on the season and workload. You must be able to drive to various city and town halls throughout the State. This position provides the opportunity for learning, growth and development both personally and professionally. The candidate will:
- Assist in the acquisition of permits and development approvals in various municipalities and counties
- Keep track of the status of all permit applications and file copies of documents in computer files
- Serve as a liaison with building departments
- Assist in researching codes and requirements in various municipalities
- Pick up and drop off applications with various building and planning departments
- Prepare forms for submission which include getting applications filled out, signed and notarized if required
- Review plans and any other necessary documents for completion before submission
- Assist in the preparation of various development review applications
- Design team coordination
- Keep records, and track submissions through Design Review Boards, Site Plan Review, Board of Adjustment/Appeals, and Board of Trustees/City Council/Board of County Commissioners
- Assist in the closing of permits including acquisition of Certificates of Occupancy
While technical knowledge for the position is important, we are willing to train the right person who has a positive attitude, is team-oriented and has a desire to create great places.
Excellent communicator; strong teamwork skills • Strong organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail • Strong technical ability and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suites and Adobe Acrobat products • Ability to intuitively solve problems • Ability to interpret construction documents and knowledge of building codes and planning processes.
Specific Responsibilities/Technical Skill Base:
Expedite building permit applications through city/town/county review processes • Provide support for senior planning staff • Lead site surveys & coordinate details with site owner with minimal supervision Compile permitting timelines • Coordinate all permit submission requirements • Experience working with zoning codes and other regulatory tools, such as design standards and guidelines.
High school diploma or equivalent (GED) required. BA/BS degree or associate's degree in planning, engineering, construction science & technology or related field or 1-3 years of relevant experience highly desirable.