Safety and New Mobility Systems Program Planner
Safety and New Mobility Systems Program Planner
Role and Duties
MARC is recruiting a highly-motivated self-starter with practical experience in transportation planning and policy, specifically focused on transportation safety and advanced mobility options, including connected and automated vehicles, mobility-as-a-service, shared mobility, and related technologies and operational strategies. Joining a dynamic multidisciplinary team, we seek problem solvers who combine strong written and verbal communications skills with demonstrated analytical skills. We are also seeking candidates with knowledge of emerging transportation technologies and trends in mobility (such as shared mobility, on-demand services, vehicle electrification, and how transportation technologies will change and accelerate these trends), and the ability to develop innovative solutions independently and master new concepts quickly to deliver high quality work. In addition, the ideal candidate will possess a strong desire and capacity for leadership growth, including supporting interaction with MARC member and partner agencies and business development activities.
The successful candidate will be part of a team focused on advancing policy development, planning and implementation of emerging mobility services and technologies within the context of regional transportation, social, economic and environmental goals and performance objectives. The primary responsibilities of this position will be to conceptualize, and lead work plans to implement MARC’s:
- Regional Transportation Safety Blueprint,
- Automated Vehicle Policy Framework,
- Unmanned Aerial Systems Policy Framework,
- Transportation Incident Management program,
- Hazardous Materials Emergency Preparedness Plan, and
- other regional initiatives related to transportation safety, emerging transportation technologies and transportation systems management and operations.
This work will include support for MARC committees including the Destination Safe Coalition, working groups on drones or AV technology and others. A key related role of this position will be to facilitate development of regional data sharing and data management systems to support deployment of emerging transportation technologies.
Work will mainly consist of expanding MARC’s portfolio and service offerings for providing practical solutions and guidance to local governments, agencies, providers, and firms advancing safety innovation, advanced mobility and other emerging transportation technologies. The tasks are expected to include business development, project/task management, research and analysis related to industry best practices, new product/service offerings and industry trends, developing policy guidance and implementation plans, and authoring reports and white papers.
The position offers great opportunities for professional growth. You will work directly with dynamic industry thought leaders to identify and apply evolving requirements and innovative practices to highly visible projects across the Kansas City region.
The successful candidate will have the following skills, interests, and experiences:
- Knowledge of public safety and transportation concepts as would be obtained through:
- A four-year college degree from an accredited university with a major in a transportation, public safety or systems technology related field (Planning, Policy, Engineering, Information Technology, Public Health, etc.). Master’s degree preferred and may be substituted for one year of relevant work experience.
- Planner III - Four years of related work experience required.
- Senior Planner - A minimum of seven years of experience in the transportation industry, with at least two years of experience in the areas of transportation safety or emerging mobility/transportation technologies.
- MARC may consider additional years of relevant professional work experience in lieu of degree requirements.
- Evidence of leadership qualities and ability to network with stakeholders, partners and others in the field to facilitate collective decision-making.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize solutions to problems, think creatively, work independently, and deliver high quality work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills to organize, manage, analyze and present data using a variety of technical tools, including Geographic Information Systems, statistical analysis, data visualization, database management systems and process.
- Demonstrated ability and experience to successfully manage projects.
- Excellent written, verbal and on-line communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Desire & capacity to learn new skills for on-going professional development
- Certification from American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP), Professional Engineer (PE) or Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE) preferred.
How to Apply
Starting salary ranges, depending upon qualifications:
- Planner III - $54,500 to $65,000
- Senior Planner - $62,500 to $76,000
MARC offers an attractive team-oriented work environment along with a competitive fringe benefit package. For more information about the program and to apply, please visit our website at www.marc.org/jobs. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, salary requirements and resume when applying online. MARC is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes all qualified persons without regards to race, color, sex, disability, national origin, citizenship, age, pregnancy, genetic information, military status, ancestry or any other characteristic or status protected by law.