Planning & Community Development - City of Colorado Springs, CO
Job Type: Full-time
Department: Planning & Community Svcs Dev
Closing: 8/7/2019 4:00 PM Mountain
Read why COS is 'One of the Best Places to Live according to US News and World Report.'
Learn about the City of Colorado Springs as an employer and what our beautiful city has to offer as a place to live and work by clicking on the following links: http://www.choosecoloradosprings.com/
https://coloradosprings.gov/sites/default/files/inline-images/candidate_info_packet_6.26.17_updated.pdf (Download PDF reader)
This information may change annually.
In this position, you will perform advanced planning duties by reviewing complex land development applications and performing redevelopment and comprehensive urban planning functions for the Planning and Community Services Department.
Essential Job Functions - the basic job duties an employee must be able to perform:
- Review complex land use applications for compliance with City code and other applicable regulations; ensure compliance with professional standards
- Process development application submittals for distribution; manage public notification requirements; and verify that all application components are provided and in compliance
- Communicate with internal and external stakeholders; write technical review letters
- Present project proposals at City Planning Commission and City Council meetings and other public hearings
- Research zoning, planning, development, geological, and drainage history for pre-application and potential development
- Communicate research and development process, applicable regulations, and potential pitfalls to development applicants
- Research and develop land use regulations and policies; present to City Planning Commission and City Council for formal adoption; and train staff on new regulations and policies
- Coordinate assigned activities and projects with other divisions, outside agencies, and the public
We are looking for candidates who demonstrate:
- Methods and techniques of land use planning, zoning, and development
- Methods and techniques of preparing and reviewing development documents
- Principles and practices of effective project management
- Modern office technology
- Pertinent federal, state, and local policies, procedures, and regulations
- Make decisions and/or recommendations regarding policy development and implementation
- Read and interpret technical drawings
- Prioritize, organize, and manage multiple projects
- Lead, organize, and review the work of staff
- Communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing; prepare clear and concise reports
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
Successful candidate will have:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in planning, geography, architecture, public administration, or a related field
- Five years of full-time professional planning experience (Note: Planning is defined as urban, regional, land use, and/or comprehensive long range planning working with or for a municipal government.)
Ideal candidates will also have:
- A master's degree in planning, geography, architecture, public administration or related field
- AICP (American Institute of Certified Planners) certification
- Experience with GIS (Geographic Information System)
Work is performed primarily in an office environment with some travel from site to site and possible exposure to extreme weather conditions.
This job announcement is not intended to include a complete listing of all responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the position.
Please visit https://coloradosprings.gov/jobs and click on 'Apply for a City Career' > 'City Career Postings – Apply Now' button to complete an online application. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).
Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application may not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.
Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position's closing date and time listed in the job posting. HR will review the last application you submit for a position.
To view the City's job classifications, including physical demands and descriptions, go to https://www.coloradosprings.gov/human-resources/page/job-classifications-descriptions.
To view the status of your application, go to http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cosprings/default.cfm.
To be notified of future career opportunities, go to http://coloradosprings.gov/jic
If hired, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the United States.
Equal Opportunity Employer