Public Engagement Lead, Long Range Transportation Planning
Requisition ID: 13837
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Long Range Transportation Planning Stakeholder Engagement Lead is responsible for leading complex consultation processes involving contesting interests and often politically sensitive issues, maintaining key stakeholder relationships, and providing judicious engagement support for long range transportation policy development and planning initiatives. This position will initiate collaborative working relationships with other city departments, external government agencies, consultants, external stakeholder groups and the public to further long range transportation planning and policy initiatives in the city.
The position will supervise and mentor junior staff within the Transportation Planning branch.
This role will work closely with external organizations like Business Improvement Associations, transportation and public space advocacy groups, Vancouver Coastal Health, various levels of government, public, Council Committees and other key stakeholders.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with a team of engineering and planning staff on long range transportation planning and policy initiatives
- Represent the Transportation Planning branch at other corporate and public events to answer questions or provide input about transportation policies, practices, and promotion
- Prepare timely responses to the public and stakeholders with tact and sensitivity.
- Lead high profile and sometimes contentious consultation projects
- Supervise the work of junior staff as they develop consultation processes and conduct research, analysis and presentation of data for public materials
- Attend weekend and evening meetings and workshops to assist consultation efforts and handle difficult issues should they arise
- Liaise with key stakeholders including other levels of government, special interest groups, citizen organizations, business interests, and other departments to provide ongoing updates
- Develop and implement consultation methods that are tailored to the impacts of specific transportation projects
- Generate and/or review content for public notifications, engagement materials, project website, and social media platforms. Coordinates project communication channels internally and externally
- Assist reporting on key transportation issues
- Assist in the development and analysis of public surveys
Education and Experience:
- Post graduate degree in Urban Planning, Planning, Communications, Engineering, Landscape Architecture or Public Relations with consultation experience supplemented by project management or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 5 years of recent experience with a significant focus on consultation/issues management and stakeholder relations
- Considerable experience providing advice to senior managers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound judgement, discretion and diplomacy
- Promotes a team environment, works under tight timelines and ability to multitask
- Able to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships
- Excellent communication and consultative skills
- Has considerable knowledge of City policies such as transportation, environment, health
- Has considerable knowledge of and demonstrated skills in developing and implementing consultation strategies
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe Suite and PowerPoint
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: August 2019
Position End Date: August 2021
Application Close: August 16, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.